Options

Dead on water-- ideas? '02 Rinker 270 fiesta vee 350 mag

drewc64drewc64 Member Posts: 10
launched yesterday.  Cruised the lake for a bit.  Anchored for a bit.  Came in and docked for the night.  Boat started fine, ran fine.

next day, started up, cruised out the the cove.  Tried to start 5 minutes (and multiple other minutes later) with no success.

motor turns over.  There is no kill switch.  No breakers seem to need reset.  Generators starts and runs fine (it at least is drawing fuel).

any popular solutions?  Had boats before but new to this one.  All help appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are engine breakers on some boats. A red button. If this has popped - no start. There are also large breakers on some aft panels. Your battery cables are good, particularly the battery ground wire(s)?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Check your shift interrupt switch,If it came out of adjustment you won't be able to start. (I think)
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    There's no kill switch on your throttle?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    I had similar problem on mine. Put mine down to vapour lock. When was your impellor last changed?
  • Options
    Found the issue.  Belt has gone loose over time.  Didn't have the tools on the lake to remove the lock nut to make the adjustment to the tensioner.

appreciate the timely responses!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so if the engine is turning over, why would it not start? A loose belt would be a problem for charging perhaps but not starting?
  • Options
    Loose belt caused the batteries not to charge. Low voltage can turn the engine over but spark will be weak causing the engine not to start.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    makes sense but I'd think if it turning over as normal, would not be an issue and I did not read that engine turning over anything other than normal....easy fix and will keep it in mind!
  • Options
    **update** 
    fixed the belt issue.  Replaced a couple parts on the scarred up tensioner.

still didn't start

took to local boat dealer. He found low compression on one cylinder and diagnosed with a "tuliped valve".  Basically need a whole engine rebuild looking at $3K min.

As a desk jockey, not a mechanic... I researched valve issues and it just didn't add up.

i took to a local marine mechanic who really specializes in outboards.  He also found low compression in 2 cylinders but a faulty ignition module.  Replaced the module and we have a running boat!!!

i will run for the summer with low compression and have the other repairs done over winter.

a little ticked off at dealer.  Thoughts?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long ago ago did you purchase the boat? Seems engine was shot when you bought it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Just for this season.  Boat runs fine.  40mph top speed.  We should have had a surveyor do a compression test... ran fine in our water test.  I don't know if previous owner knew of damage or not.
  • Options
    Might not need an engine rebuild, depending what cylinders are low could just be a head gasket.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero... hoping for the gasket being my issue.