Options

Possible bravo 3 issues please help

bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
my 2006 270, 350 mag fired right up out of the slip. However as i throttled up could not get over 10 mph and started smelling something like exhaust/ fiberglass resin odor. Slowdown smell went away, no odor in the engine bay. This happened most of the outing. Engine rpm up to 4000 but could not plane well nor go over 10-12 mph. 
Any ideas? I had the cone clutch done end of 2015 season so the should be fine.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

In gear the engine rpm was at 4000 but you were limited to 10+ mph? I'm thinking clutch, engine coupler? Was there any metallic noise? If the risers were hot and there was a burned smell I might suspect a burned exhaust flapper which would really increase the engine temp and could be felt by putting a hand on the exhaust riser but that shouldn't limit the MPH.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Alswagg said:
    Suspect the coupler    Note these need to be greased annually and should have the alignment checked also 
    how do you grease it annually?!  Is there a full on list anywhere of everything that needs to be done annually on a mercury 383/bravo 3 combo?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff, any decent service shop will have the Merc alignment tool. Have personally used it many times, even on a new boat. As boats get older stringers can sag a minute bit and nuts can move (yeah I know!) so checking older boats with the alignment tool is a must too!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, what are the work boats do? Come to think of it, what all does @alswagg do?
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I going to pull the boat out this morning. I had the cone clutch done about a year ago. I'm bring the boat to the shop that replaced the clutch and winterized it. 
    I have a sea trial scheduled for the boat, I accepted an offer for it right before this happen. I need it running well for the sea trial.

al.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg If work boats are ran that much building and servicing docks the boating economy  must be great.
    @bigal6030 what's next?
    Boat Name :