Options

Power Steering Fluid

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have noticed a bit of a dead spot in my steering at center. From about 10:30 to 11:00 position to 1:00, maybe 1:30 position. And then yesterday when letting my daughter pilot the boat (22 and licensed) I was encouraging her to do a tight series of lock to lock turns at idle speed to get a feel for the steering. At, or just before, full lock I could hear a chattering from the engine bay that I believe to be the power steering pump cavitating.
Going to check the pump this afternoon for level and want to take oil to top up if needed. Hoping that's all it is. Being a closed system I know it shouldn't drop unless a leak, but can't see one and with a 17 year old boat I assume some seepage may occur.
2000 FV270 with 5.7L EFI Gen + Serial number in the OL100's
A look at the manual in the RBO archives tells me Dexron III ATF fluid. Sounds right?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Al. I wondered why the manual suggested Dexron III. Service Manual 24. Maybe an older version?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Thanks again Al.
    I don't know what is originally in there yet and don't plan on flushing the system today so I'm going to bring both. When I check and if it's red I'll add Dexron. If it's clear/not red then the power steering fluid. Make sense for now? I figure it's not a good idea to mix?
  • Options
    Alswagg, you were right on the money (as if there was any doubt). When I pulled the dipstick it was power steering fluid. Clear. But also full to the cold line....So still can't figure out why the pump was chattering and the wheel has the slack. :/
  • Options
    Thanks Al. Will do.  Hopefully something I can adjust or fix without a new gimbal ring....
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This is what I use for my drive,trim tabs and power steering pump.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/mercury-marine--power-trim-steering-fluid--P006_182_003_520
    2008 330EC