Options

another bravo 3 trim/limit question

Mercury2005Mercury2005 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭
My trim gauge is not receiving a signal from the sender. I know the gauge is getting 12v.
Pulled the sender off the port side, with the key on, moved the sender while my wife looked at the gauge, no movement.

On my 2006 270 Bravo 3, the trim position sender is on the port side and has three (3) wires, the trim limit sender is on the starboard side and has two (2) wires. I removed the cover on the trim limit sender, cleaned the connections and re-installed it. It works fine.
On the trim position sender, there was only a cosmetic cover glued on the the sender and the sender could not be disassembled.
Reading various blogs, it seems there are several wiring setups on these senders. It seems some senders have only two (2) wires on each sender which some blogs call the 'analog' sender, then there are blogs that say some boats have only one sender (on the starboard side) with wiring and the other sender is just a cover and this is what they call 'digital'.
When I look at the Mercury parts illustration and description, it shows one set of senders with a three wire on the port side and a two wire on the star side.
I called Mercury with my engine and drive S/N and was told the correct senders I need are P/N - 8M0107462.
Here is a link to a Mercury parts list that shows both the two wire and the three wire. Part illustration number 25 shows the three with and the description says - "SENDER KIT Trim  Analog/Digital, (SmartCraft series transom [transom 2A417474] & up.
I am at the point where I may remove the trim gauge, find the sender wires inside the engine compartment, extend the wires outside the boat to the drive, provide 12v and ground to the gauge, connect the sender wires to the gauge, rotate the sender and see what happens.  Any thoughts on this?
Anyone else have the 3 wire and 2 wire senders?