Horizon 600 Windlass

junebugjunebug Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
I am hoping someone can help me?  So my windlass on my 07 280 is the Horizon 600.  It works most of the time but it seems if I pull it up tight it doesn't want to go down.  You can here it clicking like it wants to work but it wont drop.  I let it sit a bit and it will work.  I looked online and seen some people say that you can pull it a part and check the connections to make sure they don't have corrosion on the them.  So I went out today and took the three bolts out of the one side and pulled it apart and all I could see was the end of the motor.  So I took all the bolts out of the other side hoping to find the electrical connections inside but I can't get the cover off.  Can someone tell me A) are the electrical connections behind that cover and B) How do you the cover off I was going to try a hammer and flat screwdriver and try to tap it off tomorrow.  Any advice would be welcome

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    There are no connections behind, the 2 cables go direct into the motor. Quite likely there is corrosion or wear in the brushes etc but it's not easy to pull apart and fix. Went through this myself and ended up replacing the unit.

If the issue is only when pulled up tight, it may seem to be a stupid reply but don't pull it up tight. They actually say in the manual not to use the windlass to secure the anchor:
    • When the Windlass is not in use the anchor must be tied off onto a cleat or equivalent strong point to prevent damage to the boat.
    • Windlass must not be used as the sole means of securing the anchor to the bow
    fitting especially under storm conditions. Anchors should be independently secured to prevent accidental release.

It won't solve the potential corrosion/wear issue but it may prevent the problem occurring.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• junebugjunebug Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    What model did you replace yours with?
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    A Lewmar PRO Series 1000. I called them to see if they did a rebuild of them and they offered a good changeover deal. Suggested that model as a little bigger for the boat size and with the free fall option as standard it's a nice unit. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• junebugjunebug Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    Ok perfect thank you