New to dual batteries

joey91279joey91279 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
Hi, I just bought a 2005 Rinker Captiva 192 and the boat has dual batteries with a Perko Battery Selector Switch.  Can someone please walk me through on how to use it and when to the switch it to 1 or 2 or all?  I want to make sure I do it right before heading out for the first time with this boat.

Thanks,
Joey

Comments

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    If 1 is your starting battery always leave the switch on 1.  When you anchor or whatever put the switch on 2 so you don't drain your starting battery.  All setting is for emergencies when neither battery will start the boat...ALL combines both batteries.  Don't use ALL unless you need too

NEVER use the switch while the engine is running you can damage the charging system.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To add to that, your switch position does not affect which side is charging when under way. Both sides will charge on the alternator when running. And if you have an on-board charger, same thing. I'm new this year too and wondered the same thing. If you do a search on the forum my post along with all of the very helpful answers from the other members will come up as well as a number of other posts on the subject.
    And...Welcome! :)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I would like to add, when on shore power and no one is at the boat should the battery selector be in the off position?
    2008 330EC
    I slip all season and never turn my switch to off.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    I slip all season and never turn my switch to off.
    Likewise. Only off when on the hard in winter.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Same here. Particularly because my fridge only runs on 12 volt and the beer MUST be cold at all times!
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    I always run down the lake with the switch on "ALL" then switch to battery one when stopped and playing music, etc 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    @Lake_Bum - any reason you run on ALL?  Just curious
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    Personally I would never run on all. I always want a "fresh/fully charged" battery. Running on all could drain them all if there is a problem...... Just say'n....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Maybe my logic is wrong, but I thought it would charge both batteries if the switch was on all. I have never used an isolator, just a perko switch. Had the same setup on several boats, and never had an issue... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    @Lake_Bum, the isolator might already be there without you spotting it. It doesn't look like much, just a little block with a single positive wire running from the alternator, and then two wires running out to the two battery banks. It will allow both batteries to charge regardless of battery switch position, while preventing any back draw if one battery goes bad so it doesn't suck the life out of the remaining good battery.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isolator is like a one way street power can go though but can't turn around and come back.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    @Willhound it might have one on it, that I haven't noticed, this boat has dual batteries from the factory, so it might already be installed. On other boats though, they have been a single battery, and I basically ran the main positive wire directly to the perko switch, then came out of that to each individual battery.  The process above is how I used them, and never had a problem, always maintained a good charge. 
    What I have learned from this thread, and hopefully joey the original poster (sorry for derailing your post) is with an isolator, BOTH batteries are receiving a charge while underway, regardless of switch position on the perko.........right?  :p
    2000 Captiva 232 
    That is my understanding, yes.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Al,  you need to verify your wiring. On my boat I had off, 1, 2, both. What that meant was which battery ran the engine starter and associated connected devices. 2 was wired to always be on house. 

So I just kept mine on 1 all the time to ensure the engine always had a fresh starter battery, while 2 took care of the house load. 

Both would mean the batteries are bridged, and it's something you only want to do in an emergency situation. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"