Options

Removed cockpit carpet today

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Took out the carpet to clean it. Scrubbed the sole. Some slight yellowing from the backing, but overall I think I like it without the carpet better. Admiral may have other thoughts but I'm going to try it for a while. Going to cover the snap posts with snap heads for now until we decide if the carpet is going back or not. 
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    like the idea about covering the snap heads
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Just have to find the snaps now. Forgetting that they are in two halves and must be pounded together with a snap anvil. I think I saw some years ago that twisted together or just used pliers somehow but can't remember what they were called.
  • Options
    Yep, that's it. Thanks @reneechris14. Just have to find a Canadian supplier now.
  • Options
    spalmer114spalmer114 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I took mine out as well, however decided I liked the feel of something on the deck.  Maine Mat, which is pretty much identical to SeaDeK, makes a snap in version, which feels great!  If you decide to put carpet back in, you might want to check them out.  It is also quite a bit cheaper than SeaDek.
  • Options
    That's a future plan. Not in the boat bucks this year....like it though.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took mine out when I first purchased, but, it is not a "finished' fiberglass deck and you just can't keep it clean. If you have home depot or similar stores you can get them there, the snap covers. I had to put mine back in but it really needs cleaning as well...just feels better on the feet and I was tracking all sorts of mess below...sure would like the snap in like above. Not sure if I will ever get enough ahead on boat bucks to do that...unless I let it sit for a year maybe! Always something...

• Options
    Tried snaps today to cover the posts but it raises the height and created a bit of a tripping hazard so will likely remove them. I can guarantee you'd only step on the bare snap pedestals once or twice in bare feet and you'd quickly learn to watch for them. Going to give the carpet a good cleaning and deodorizing and may have to put it back in for now.