Options

Quick question about using shore water

This may be a dumb question, but I am a new boater and will probably have quite a few of them!  lol  When I hook my 2001 Rinker 340 FV to shore water, does it bypass what is in my holding tank and everything pulls off of the shore supply?  I usually fill my holding tank up all the way, but I would like to lighten the load and only have maybe a third of a tank.  I just need to know if I put 15-20 gallons of water in my tank for my time away from the slip and then hook up the shore water for use in the slip, will it drain my tank first?  

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally the shore water feed by-passes the pump which draws from the tank.  The pump/shore water inlet feeds the rest of the water system on your boat.  I've not seen where you can fill the tank with the water inlet though.

We have a couple places we like to go that only have lake water so I make a point of traveling with a full water tank.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    spalmer114spalmer114 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Stodge said:
    Normally the shore water feed by-passes the pump which draws from the tank.  The pump/shore water inlet feeds the rest of the water system on your boat.  I've not seen where you can fill the tank with the water inlet though.

We have a couple places we like to go that only have lake water so I make a point of traveling with a full water tank.

Thanks, Stodge!  I guess that means I can turn my water pump off while pulling from shore water?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Yes, you have to turn off the pump to relieve pressure on the bypass valve. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Yes, you have to turn off the pump to relieve pressure on the bypass valve. 
    Great, thanks!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI: make sure you shut the water off at the dock when not on board. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    And pull of the hose. Major wakes and rocking by some clown on plane in the marina will have you tearing out the fitting if connected.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    BoatmanBoatman Member Posts: 26
    rocking and on plane in a marina gets you shot!;)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Happens all the time by me.  50+ footers think they can go as fast as they want.  Not on plane obviously but make a large wake.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shore water goes in after the pump as all are saying. I agree, disconnect when you leave the boat. You don't need a burst and a sinking boat. My marina had really high pressure water and the bilge may have kept up, but why take a chance. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you can get a pressure limiter to install on the "tap" at the marina. they are not expensive and just screw on. This stops over pressure or pressure spikes from blowing-off  the water line(s) in your boat and causing a flood. I took one with me when I travelled from marina to marina. I didn't buy a fancy brass one just a simple white plastic one - worked great.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T Most of the newer water inlets have a pressure regulator as as well as a check valve.  I had to replace mine when the check valve failed and let water out when I turned on the fresh water pump.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thank you to everyone for all of this very helpful information!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stodge, agreed but I added a second one on both the 2013 EC 310 and 2014 EC 360 on the advice of a friend who owns a plumbing company and a Rinker EC 350.

He felt the add on (we purchased ours at West Marine) was a better quality than most OEM boating units and added extra insurance for a very cheap price. He said he had seen a number of OEM valves fail but never the aftermarket add on ones.

He said installing one before the entry to your boat was a very good idea. I agree as I have personally seen three boats sitting on the bottom at marinas due to water inlet failure.

He recommended the Jabsco in-line Water Pressure Regulator from West Marine Model# 282228 ..... Jabsco part# JABSC#444411-0045. Approximately$40.00. This unit down regulates inlet water pressure from 100p.s.i. to 35 p.s.i.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just use the water from the tank so in doesn't sit for a long time.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I just use the water from the tank so in doesn't sit for a long time.
    I completely agree! Only time I use city water connection is on our 10 day trip going between marinas. But we always turn it off when not on boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    Further to spalmer114's original question. Does the hot water tank generally work off of the shore water, and is it safe to operate the HW tank connected to shore water with the fresh water tanks empty, and not burn out a heater element?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    It will work on whatever water is supplied - fresh water tank if not connected or shore if it is and flowing. With any hot water tank, as long as it has water in it no problem. Even with empty fresh water tank and shore off, the hot water tank will stay full until you open a faucet. And even then I think it still keep some in the tank, thus the need to drain when winterizing.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/