Options

Oval window leaking

califcocalifco Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
I started to get water inside the cabin last season through one of the oval windows. I just removed the window, it was a paint to get out. It was leaking at the bottom, I'm wondering if I should remove the metal ring? Boat is in the water and it is difficult to do plus it is going to rain in a few hours. Another issue is the water started to make damage to the wood see pictures, how should I repair the wood? When I put my finger water comes out and the top part is soft. 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should tape a plastic bag over it while it's raining,take the bag off when the sun is out to let it dry up. Once dried see how the wood looks.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I removed the rotted wood and filled it with Marine Tex, I'm waiting for the product to dry and I'm planning to use butyl tape to seal the window back in place. 

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I did this over the winter.  Removed both the trim ring and the window and sealed both.  Unfortunately I'm still getting water that gets the carpet wet.  @J3ff and I seem to have similar issues.  There's another thread.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I will look for that thread, finished mine this morning and it is still leaking. 
  • Options
    @califco - where are you seeing signs of a leak?  Just curious if it's in the same place as me.  To the left of the kitchen cabinet with the mirror on it?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so that's three of us with the same problem. 
  • Options
    Lol but not funny, it is actually frustrating. My leak is on the aft berth window, it is leaking at the bottom.
  • Options
    it's absolutely frustrating. My 1985 boat had NO leaks like this, it just didn't have reverse. SIGH. boats. 
  • Options
    Agreed...I do anything to actually see where the leak was happening...that would make it possible to actually fix it.  Currently I have absolutely no idea where it's coming from :(
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly, did you check the rub rail? Sometimes the screws under the stainless insert need resealed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Cableguy Greg - not yet.  My boat is backed in and the leaking side is on the wrong side to work on.  I need to spin her around.  Crazy thing is...we didn't get that much rain last week and the carpet was still pretty wet.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I was thinking that its time to do the thing handy was talking about in another thread.   Seal the cabin off and put a shop vac exhaust in the cabin... then spray
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    I was thinking that its time to do the thing handy was talking about in another thread.   Seal the cabin off and put a shop vac exhaust in the cabin... then spray
    You can use an electric leaf blower or a carpet drying fan. I dont think a shop vac is enough cfm
  • Options
    Here are the list of things that cause leaks.
    1)Windshield mounting screws
    2)Oval Side windows
    3)Vent Hatches
    4)Cleats
    5)Windshield wiper arm shafts.
    6)Bow deck snaps or any snaps

As I have my interior out, I see no leaks from rub rail screws at all. 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    How do you seal the cabin with the fan trick?  There are all sorts of places for air to escape the cabin..ie cabin door, sink drains, aft bilge and then the pathways that contain the mechanicals and eventually lead to the cockpit?

Then the idea is to spray soapy water everywhere and look for bubbles right?

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    The fan would be at the cabin door sealed with plastic and duct tape around the fan. Seal everything you can think of. Then use soapy water
  • Options
    You will know you have enough air pressure building up when the plastic bows out tight
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQ-cJWGY-o

Here is a video to demonstrate basically the same idea 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I could never imagine trying to do this test with my cabin.  Way too many holes to try to plug!!  Sinks, showers, air conditioner outputs, let alone the cabin door.  And then I'm sure my cabin leaks somehow into the bilge and engine room (sure it shouldn't, but you know there is some that you couldn't seal).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Dream_Inn said:
    I could never imagine trying to do this test with my cabin.  Way too many holes to try to plug!!  Sinks, showers, air conditioner outputs, let alone the cabin door.  And then I'm sure my cabin leaks somehow into the bilge and engine room (sure it shouldn't, but you know there is some that you couldn't seal).
    Sink drains easy to plug. No need to plug AC outlets. The cabin door is where the fan goes and you seal around the fan and to the sides of the door. You can plug drains with duct tape. Easy
  • Options
    At work we add fluorescent dye to the car wash water to check for leaks inside the trunk of the cars. I'm wondering if it could be used with the proper light to find leaks in the cabin. Pour water with dye on all suspect areas and check with the light. It is biodegradable so it is safe to use on the water.
  • Options
    I think the problem is so much is hidden in the cabin that from inside it's not easy to see a leak with your idea.  I haven't done either but just my take.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dream_Inn said:
    Sink drains easy to plug. No need to plug AC outlets. The cabin door is where the fan goes and you seal around the fan and to the sides of the door. You can plug drains with duct tape. Easy

OK, but what about air leaks from cabin into bilge/engine room?  I've got hoses (ie waste, water) that go between the two that I know can't possible be sealed that tight.  For my boat, you'd be talking an area of 1500 - 2000 cu feet?  I just can't see how you'd pressurize it enough to actually see air bubbles.  Heck, I also have A/C that goes from the aft cabin unit up to the cockpit. 

• Options
    We will just have to forget about your boat then
  • Options
    Back to topic.  You say you used butyl tape, is it possible it is coming in the window frame itself?  (like between the glass and the frame, instead of the frame and the boat)

• Options
    @Dream_Inn I did check that...sprayed a hose at the window and water got through the rubber gasket that's supposed to seal it.  Been looking for a replacement but no luck.  It's on my list to replacement
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    crazyhorsecrazyhorse Member Posts: 19
    I have the same wet carpet in my aft cabin as well going to do the air pressure trick next spring ...very frustrating