Options

side bunk or not

floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
my boat stays on the trailer 90% of the time, haul to the river and back. the side bunks make it a pain to clean and polish the boat, I do have the add-on guides that are at the very stern end so I can see the empty trailer when backing up. I am thinking of cutting the bunks off just so I can clean my boat..... any thoughts on this? any opinions would help me decide what to do.. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO bunk trailers are far more supportive of a boat's hull than the roll on rollers. Had them on six Rinkers so far.
  • Options
    ok.. my bad.. I don't mean the bunks the boat rides on the bunks I'm referring to are the ones that "guide" the boat into position for retrieving. that are held on by small thin metal straps ( 1 1/4"w x 1/4"t) that have a 2x4 with carpet lag bolted through the straps. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only reason you need them if current is to swift, to help you guide your self onto the trailer. If you can hit the trailer dead on every time cut them off.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    that's what I was thinking... we have gotten pretty good at loading her up with 1 on shore for bow (on trailer), 1 driving it, and 2 in stern to grab the tall guides I used to see empty trailer while backing it up.