Options

Every boater should watch this video....two guys under-prepared almost sink their boat, all on video

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChSNhvqxH8 

IMO this should be shown at all boating license classes. 

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Three words: location, location, location.... KNOW YOUR LOCATION!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GEEZ......check any of your boat's through hulls that are below the water line before heading-out to an open sea. File a trip plan with friends and the local CG.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Be prepared. Equipment, and RADIO!! 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

Wow!  I first can't believe I watched the entire thing only fast forward threw a few minutes.  That is really something to watch!  I drive thru that area every year on my way to VA beach.  Sure makes you think to be more prepared!  I've unfortunately had 3 different times thru my boating life that a hose came off.  All 3 times I noticed immediately and was able to put them back on.  I've learned from that to inspect and change out hose clamps!  I've also unfortunately had the feeling my boat was going down, even having a helicopter overhead (along with 6 other various rescue type boats) when my boat caught fire.  Luckily I was able to do all things correct (except use my hand held radio).

That video was intense to say the least!  I remember a while back someone had shown some stuff that you can stick in any hole that has water coming in? remember that?  I think it's time I get some of it.

Thanks for posting the video!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    aero3113 said:
    Yep!  That's it!  & I forgot how cheap it is.  I now found what I'm going to use some of my WM cashback for.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:

Wow!  I first can't believe I watched the entire thing only fast forward threw a few minutes.  That is really something to watch!  I drive thru that area every year on my way to VA beach.  Sure makes you think to be more prepared!  I've unfortunately had 3 different times thru my boating life that a hose came off.  All 3 times I noticed immediately and was able to put them back on.  I've learned from that to inspect and change out hose clamps!  I've also unfortunately had the feeling my boat was going down, even having a helicopter overhead (along with 6 other various rescue type boats) when my boat caught fire.  Luckily I was able to do all things correct (except use my hand held radio).

That video was intense to say the least!  I remember a while back someone had shown some stuff that you can stick in any hole that has water coming in? remember that?  I think it's time I get some of it.

Thanks for posting the video!

I'm amazed at how few people have commented, vs how many have viewed. This video is a perfect example of an Oh **** moment that we all dread.  Motor stops for no reason and next thing you know you are bailing your boat out to the point of falling over.  I didn't think I'd watch the whole thing, but actually being able to see how it is when reality sinks in that you are going to be in the water shortly.. oh man. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my boating is in about 5' of water....I can stand on the arch if I get into trouble! Unless the gators start jumping...
  • Options
    you can still drown in 5ft of water ;) 
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Good video.when I went to class to get my boat operator cert  the teacher was a Retired CG captain.  First rule he stressed have a radio.  There's never a shortage of help if someone knows you are in danger.  Even though I have cell coverage whet I boat, I have a mounted radio and a handheld in case I need to ditch.  Thanks for sharing 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    This video pushed me over the line to buy a handheld vhf with gps built in, even though I'm only making a 6 hour trip or so I don't want to be fumbling with phones and such like these guys if I'm suddenly in the water with only a life vest and the radio!! 

Just fyi there's a 40 dollar rebate here for it.. http://www.standardhorizon.com/pdf/2017_Gear_Up_for_Summer_rebate.pdf .. buy before the end of June. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Some valuable lessons here. I file a float plan with the Admiral, have charts, primary VHF, handheld VHF, Lowrance GPS, Raymarine GPS, cell phone, flares, PFDs, waterproof ditch bag, bailing bucket, Stay Afloat sealant, Tru Plug rubber bungs. I have all these but for ultimate peace of mind I like to have my Zodiac inflatable dinghy with me. The open ocean is no place to float around without a boat!

Andy
  • Options
    CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Very scary, makes me want to take up a land based hobby I love! :smile:

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Another lesson -- get a hand pump like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-11596-2-Hand-Bilge-Pump/dp/B00AU5V3U6 

Imagine the physical work of bending down to pick up each bucket of water, for an hour ... exhaustion could have sunk that boat.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you Wwe were involved in a swear check and rescue in what I'd say was a fairly confined area of lake Ontario. Once a boat overturns and there's only heads bobbing in the water to see, doesn't take much more than a 1 to 2ft wave to make things really difficult to spot. Without a precise location your chances aren't good. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this day and age, I can't understand anyone in our style of boat not having a DSC equipped VHF radio, and taking the proper course or training to learn to operate it. Hit the red panic button and even if you don't have time for a voice call, that little signal can save lives. When hooked to a working GPS that is.
    I also can't understand why all VHF radios don't automatically come with DSC and a GPS chip. The manufacturer's charge an extra Hundy for the feature, reality is that chip probably costs under $5. Every cell phone on the planet now has one....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)