Options

Raymarine MFD gateway for Engine Data

My first post here - likely not my last!

I have a 2008 330EC, I had purchased the Fox Marine Gateways which use MEFI-3 but after I sent them a picture of my "Diags/Depth Finder" connector and the S/N's of my ECM they said my engines are not compatible.

Anyone else done the gateway install to get NEMA 2000 data to a panel from a 2008?  What did you use and was it a problem to find the correct connections?

My engine S/N's do not seem to exist!  No plate I can find for emmisions and the Flame Arrestor cover label is blank where the Engine S/N is supposed to be.  I've sent a request to Rinker to see if they have it on file.

My research indicates my diagnostic port should be 10 pins but I have the one shown in the picture here.

Thanks for reading!
John

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    Which engine package do you have?  

If it's Mercruiser, you can use their N2K gateway.  (Blatant ad: I have one for sale right now.)  Do you have DTS (digital throttle and shift)?  If yes, you can plug it right into the junction box at the helm.  If no, you'd have to install a SmartCraft junction box.  Hopefully somebody will chime in with instructions for that.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Can you take a picture of the connection with the cover off.  I'm not sure if that is the correct one.  But, as LaRea mentioned, you should be able to use the gateway without any issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    pinkish_pantherpinkish_panther Member Posts: 15
    Yes, it is a pair of MerCruiser 350 Mag's. 
    I'll get a pic next visit to the boat, possibly tomorrow night.

Here's the tag on the cable, it would be great if this is the wrong connector and I just need to locate the correct one - maybe by Fox Marine gateway could still work.

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See the purplish pink one in the pic I believe that's the one,it has a weather cap on it
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The one in the 1st pic is for engine diagnostics,rinda computer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, it is the purplish one in the second picture you've posted.  It's why I was asking for another picture.  You just had the wrong one you were trying to use.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a markup of the photo

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    That one has something plugged in, I was at the boat before I saw this post but I have a slightly better picture
  • Options
    This is the diag one without the cover - where I thought I'd connect for the engine data?  No?
  • Options
    There are also these ones (1st and 2nd pic are the same connector - without and with the terminator)
  • Options
    LaRay - is your gateway for dual engines?  I don't think I have DTS but I'm open to working a deal - I'm sure someone can help with a junction box.  
  • Options
    Actually, I sold mine today (to another forum member).  Sorry!  But it's not hard to find one on eBay.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plug you are looking for is the one with the Terminator in it. It is a 10 pin plug that is purple.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    1st and 2nd pictures are it.  You definitely have it now!

• Options
    Excellent, so my MEFI-3 Gateways from Fox Marine won't do the trick but thanks to everyone here it looks like a Mercury Gateway was the way to go from the start!
    I'll try to remember to post a pic of the final result sometime in July!
  • Options
    Hopefully this picture helps the next person looking for this - I couldn't find it anywhere on-line! :)
  • Options
    Ps that motor looks real clean B)B)
  • Options
    :) I bought it last fall from a guy that owned a cleaning company!
  • Options
    Ok, I have the Raymarine Axiom installed now and went to get engine data... after a few failed attempts with various wires I called Mercury - they were excellent.

In addition to the gateway (because this Rinker does not have a SmartCraft Junction box at the helm) the following additional parts are required.

Qty 2 - 879981T-XX (in feet for cable length - i.e. -15 is 15 ft) CAN Line cable with built in terminator.
    Qty 1 - 878492K14 - 4 port Junction box
    Qty 3 - 859318T2 Weather caps for the ports not connected to the gateway.

Recommendation is to mount this at the helm and run the CAN Lines back to the engine.

Parts arrive Monday - I'll post results when I have them.
  • Options
    Parts arrived, no luck so far.  Still nothing at the Axiom.  Mercury says I should be getting the gateway listed so I'll check the NMEA 2000 installation tonight.  

Today I was told by Mercury I probably also need
    84-892323A10 Harness with Diode to go between the Junction Box and the CAN line cable because the Junction box won't know there are 2 engines.

This also means 2 gender benders are required 892453A01

I'll keep posting...
  • Options
    Yes, please post ... 
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay.  I have all the basics now working.
    I was able to do it with only these parts:
    Qty 2 - 879981T-XX (in feet for cable length - i.e. -15 is 15 ft) CAN Line cable with built in terminator.
    Qty 1 - 878492K14 - 4 port Junction box
    Qty 3 - 859318T2 Weather caps for the ports not connected to the gateway.

But do yourself a favour and get the 6 port junction box (878492K16) for the extra few bucks. 

The key came down to getting the port engine to know it was port, I offered to setup and configure my dealers software for him using my boat as a test.  I'm now his go to Mercury IT tech... doh!

To do that, it was necessary to CUT the 3 power connections on the CAN connector on the port engine (older ones have a multi-engine disconnect).  I had to do this because generally people are using the 14 pin connector (round) for digital data - but mine is in use by Rinker for the Analog gauges.  Seen in the picture above with the blue/cyan ring.  The way I did it is not recommended by Mercury - but once I took the plunge everything started working, the software would not work to change the ID until this was cut.

Now, even with my Axiom panel having a bug not allowing me to identify the engines, the data shows up properly in the devices page anyway for both engines.

I did not get trim data, but this past weekend I found a plug near the transom in a wire bundle which has an analog trim wire connected, replacing that connection with the dangling digital wire as a test got the trim data to the Raymarine too - but not useful there.

Next step ... VesselView 502!