Options

leaking gear oil from out drive

gtyeegtyee Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
I changed the gear oil on both my bravo 3's on the 2013 310 and now the starboard unit is leaking, It seems to be coming at the hinge area and I believe the reservoir hose. Any suggestions as the shop wont be able to look at it for 10-12 days. Thinking of pulling drive unit off myself as it seems fairly easy . anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the midst of pulling my 3's to do a bellows repair and have never done one. What I'm learning so far and I'm sure others will chime in, there is a fitting between the drive and the transom with a check valve so unless you pulled the drive and broke that fitting during re assemble then it does not sound like your problem. I did have posted in my post, however, someone else that showed a hose that needed to be disconnected to pull the drive- perhaps on an older model and I'm not sure and hopefully someone would chime in. Sure seems odd however that this would occur only after an oil change.....
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, an oil change shouldn't have done anything to create your issue. Unless the lube monitor and tube was empty anyway from some issue and now you've found it through top up.

Some of my own learning: pulling the drive - the 6 nuts - will expose the lube monitor "nipple" that when you press will seep oil out into the drive, it's purpose. Behind it in the gimbal bell housing is the other side of this, usually a barbed fitting that the lube monitor tube is attached. From what my mechanic warned me when I did the ring this past winter is the other end that goes through the transom is the PITA part, plastic and easy to crack wrestling with the tube and break that off and it's an engine out repair. So while I wanted to change the tube - I had it all apart so why not - that scared me away from touching it.

Pull up the drive as high as possible and see if you can stuff paper towel in there and see if it come out with oil on it. Not easy but will give an idea which end.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
     Can the tube piece on the housing be changes out without repla ing the hose?
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
    Where, inside the bell housing? Not sure what you are asking.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like the drive is for sure going to come off if it is coming down the transom and not the drive itself.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    check the inner prop seal as those can definitely leak
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Shop is going to handle tomorrow, everyone is 2-4 week wait. Hopefully  I should get in water by Friday..
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck @gtyee. Let us know how it works out. I'm likely facing the same fix. Leak has been on again/off again so driving me and mechanic nuts but ultimately looking at pulling the drive in the next week or so. Been handling it so far by mopping up the mess in the bilge and topping up the oil every second outing or so. Shop is 60 miles away so logistics are a nightmare.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)