Options

Boat Insursnce

Hello,
This is Ed Victory from Lancaster CA. I do not own a boat as of yet, but I've read that Rinker is a lot of boat for the money. How many Rinker boats over the last 10 years are there? What type of and approximately how much is boat insurance. I see good info on this forum. Thanks for any answers. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insurance depends on value of boat and where you boat etc. Budget 1500 a year for 34 footer
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 costs me about $500 CDN. Valued at $34000. That's $2 Million liability, fire, theft, contents ($1500) and sinking/salvage/environmental clean up. Hitting structure (damage to foot) and emergency towing in case of break down.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of the boat you choose, DO NOT.......I repeat, DO NOT choose Progressive Insurance!  They are crooks, and are the cheapest for a reason. They deny valid claims. I had a rock strike a couple boats ago, and they declined the claim, saying it was "wear and tear".  It blew my mind, and my mechanics as well. I elevated it as high as possible, to no avail. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Lake Bum. The only insurance company that I have heard complaints about is Progressive. Would never use them. I have ACE Marine Insurance. They were just bought by someone, dont remember the new name. It's around $500 a year give or take $50 for $70k coverage on my 342. I think on the great lakes we get a substantial discount from you warm weather guys. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I pay BoatUS around $650/year for full coverage on my 342.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

As far as boat insurance, we had a good discussion on this earlier this year...

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/68192#Comment_68192

Now, as far as the different types of boats and sizes over the last 10 years...they have mainly built 40 ft and under (largest was 42').  Bow riders, cuddies, cruisers of all sizes.  What style boat are you thinking about buying?  I guess another way to ask this, what type of boating do you want to do?  Dayboating with an occasional overnight, watersports, weekends with an occasional week trip?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Stodge said:
    @Stodge what do you mean by full coverage? I have over a million $$ of reliability. I have over a million $$ of hazardous spills. There is more just dont want to go over my whole policy.......LOL Reason I ask is that I pay about double of what you are.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Stodge said:
    @Stodge what do you mean by full coverage? I have over a million $$ of reliability. I have over a million $$ of hazardous spills. There is more just dont want to go over my whole policy.......LOL Reason I ask is that I pay about double of what you are.....
    Reliability????? Really Ray really????? Lmao
  • Options
    Handy I will bet you the cost of an Insurance policy that you can not dock at my club. Nuff said............ lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I'm using the term "full" much like how you distinguish between liability and collision insurance for a car.  My boat insurance has the big spill coverage, but the boat itself is at an agreed upon value.

• Options
    @Stodge are you covered if you hit and damage your docks at a marina? Are you covered if you damage something other than having a collision with an other boat? Reason I am asking is because your policy is half the cost of mine. Maybe I need to look into changing....... 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    raybo3 said:
    @Stodge are you covered if you hit and damage your docks at a marina? Are you covered if you damage something other than having a collision with an other boat? Reason I am asking is because your policy is half the cost of mine. Maybe I need to look into changing....... 

If there is something I've learned just the past couple years, is to definitely look at some other companies.  I have changed all of my policies over the last 5 or so years...all after being with a company for 20+ years.  I couldn't have lucked out better with my boating one.  They covered 2 claims in two years without question.  Premium went up maybe 10%.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I filed a claim for striking an underwater object which damaged my outdrives.  They pro-prated the pay out but covered it.  I'd have to read my policy to find out about docks etc.  I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that BoatUS boat insurance would be fairly comprehensive.

• Options
    I can see the drives being covered but its stuff like docks that I would be concerned with. My club is a real PITA about coverage.....
  • Options
    Well they have Boat liability described as Bodily Injury and Property Damage.  I have $300k limit on that.  

• Options
    On my policy Bodily Injury is different than Property Damage. I have $1 million Property $1 million for hazardous spills and I am pretty sure half a million for Injury. I am going to have to look it up when I can (work too many hours...lol). Most likely that is way there is a good size difference in the cost. How much is your hull insured for?