Options

Mercury Smart Craft hook up

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
So I have been out of the loop kinda for a bit here. Sold my 270 FV and bought a Chapparal 330 Signature. Gotta say you guys still have the best forum and certainly the most active. I feel like I am still part of the family lol. I still come on here every few days and see whats new and exciting.

So now to my dilema since the Vessel View was launched on here you guys probably have the answer to my issue.  So I purchased the J-box, gateway, (2) cords to hook up, terminating resistor cap for open port on J box. Hooked it all up to my NMEA/Sea Talk Back bone and fired up my Raymarine E97 to turn on the data charts. I disconnected the port motor disconnect harness as per Wally's instructions. Only thing I haven't done is change City ID to port. 

Here's my issue. Star board motor is reading on the port side of the screen , port motor doesn't register at all. IS this just related to the City ID or something more then that?

When I had my motors scanned when I bought the boat it showed port motor and start board motor on the scans so I figured it was already configured. But maybe they just entered that . Any ideas?

Also noticed once in a while its sporadic and the rpms will jump from 660 to 1500 and back and forth and then sometimes settle down. Is that normal?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart Craft only works on Rinkers, Sorry  RLMAO
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I think you've answered your own question.  I believe you need to change the ID over to port for it to work correctly.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handy you are so funny aren't you lol.

Dream_Inn - is it as simple as that?  then motors will read opposite screens.....?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    yes, I believe it is that simple.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to have someone with the Rinda Tools change my port motor to show as port.  Both were showing as starboard, which I was told was the default from the factory.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    ya sounds like that's the same process of changing the CITY ID. no?

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    When I installed my gateway, I had the exact same issue with the Starboard showing on the Port setting on my Lowrance displays. A quick call to Mercury Marine verified that both engines are default to Starboard. I bought the Rinda software and changed the Port engine ID and everything was fine after that - Port on the Port display and and Starboard on it's correct location.
    As for both engines being scanned - I'm pretty sure that they would have both showed Starboard - each engine scan is done independent of the other engine and when the Rinda software fires up for a scan, it shows the engine ID as programmed in the ECM. 
    If the engine is hunting on RPM's it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve going south. If you have (or know someone that has) the Rinda software, there is a specific test just for the IAC valve - it varies RPM and gives you a voltage output for the valve and if it's going south, the software should point it out.

Here's a diagram that I got from Mercury Marine on the correct way to use their gateway: