Options

Cabin door banging

I've searched the forum but didn't find any previous issues with this. Every time I run, the cabin door makes a loud bang with every wave. Everyone that goes out with me asks if the boat is coming apart it's so loud. Has anyone here had this issue and what's the fix?

Comments

• Options
    Tgun5Tgun5 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, the model is a 2008 280 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it loose in it's track?  Does it open and close okay?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running with door open or closed? Speed? Light chop, or bigger waves?
    if I'm on plane and any chop at all, door is closed and latched.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    to add to @Willhound comment I agree.  Also on my 270 there is a door stop on the bottom that locks the door into place so it can't close while underway.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Opens and closes beautifully. Whether running open or closed it happens although slightly worse closed. Light chop is also worse.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, have has a hard time even moving my door until I did some work on it...are you sure it is not something else under the help swinging around in there? Can't imagine what it would be but by the door design, if it is indeed on the track it would be hard to bang around....you have an inspection hole I'm sure near the door way that you can get behind the help, perhaps is loose from the runner on the back end of the door, only thing I can think of if is the door...let us know, that is an odd one!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It the plastic track installed along the bottom?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I did a quick inspection this afternoon and find that nothing is touching the door. The bottom of the door is sitting on the bottom aluminum track. There are marks on the track that show the screws holding the door were higher up in adjustment. In other words, it looks like it was putting more upward force on the top track trucks/glides. I doubt this will solve the problem but I'm going to adjust the door slightly up/off of the bottom track frame. I'll also check the bottom track mounting tightness to the floor.
  • Options
    In a way it's good to know this is an odd problem as there is probably a fix for it.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you post a picture?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe other than the aluminum track there is a plastic piece also that gets screwed to the door.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Keep in mind the track and all the door hardware is made for a flat surface to slide back and forth and the hull has a slight curve- if you tighten everything down the door will likely stick. I put some washers under the end of my lower track as I had that issue. Maybe the lower or upper track is loose or not att ached allowing the door to bang. If the door is closed it is hard to imagine how it could - very odd!
  • Options
    Went out yesterday and find that the banging is now gone. As strange as this may sound, the fix was to raise the door off of the lower track by 1/8" so it's not sitting on the track frame. This also changed how the upper trucks/glides ride in that track. Why this made such a difference is beyond me, however, it must have been an alignment issue.
  • Options
    Mine is not adjustable so we must have a different set up- glad you found it, would have driven me crazy too!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod

Nice to hear you found the issue!  & thanks for posting what it was!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express