Options

2 new batteries and now boat won't start.

My husband decided to replace the starter battery and house battery on Rinker 280. Now the darn boat won't even turn over. Help. Nicest day of the summer..... tempature hitting 100 and we are "sitting on the dock" in tears

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put the old ones back in exactly as they were.  Maybe some cables got reversed or a circuit break popped.. look at fuses too. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obvious , but I would suspect cables crossed maybe? Are you getting power to anything? Lights, horn?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    New batteries. ... we're charged
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    should always take picture of battrie cables before unhooking them.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    karenjanekarenjane Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for your great advice.   We turned everything off and then back on.   .  Lo and behold boat started right up. Go figure???
  • Options
    karenjanekarenjane Member Posts: 7
    As you can tell we are new Rinker Boats.  It is the first boat we have owned that we have shore power.  Can someone provide me with what needs to be left on and what should be turned off when the boat is in the slip and hooked up to shore power.  I am most concerned with the battery charger - that switch is located down below in the upper cabinet by the berth in the back of the boat.  There is also the big red switch on deck near the door to the swim platform. That switch has Off - On - Combine Batteries with the caution sign.  It is my understanding Combined Batteries should only be used in an emergency when the boat won't start. So, my question is do we leave the battery charger in the ON position (down below) and the switch on the deck in the ON position when at the dock and hooked up to shore power?  As always your help is really appreciated.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful day out on the water.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The batteries should charge no matter what position the switch up on deck is selected to as long as you are plugged in, shore main is selected on along with the battery charger switch.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good way to make sure your charger is working is to use a hand held meter. See what the voltage is with it off and then see what it is with the charger on. You should see a higher voltage when the batteries are charging.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your batteries will all charge when under way regardless of battery switch position at the stern battery switch. When on shore power, make sure your shore power switch is on and your battery charger switch is on on the main panel in the cabin and your batteries will charge assuming your charger is working correctly.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)