Options

just bought a 2005 captiva 192 and cant get it to plane and it wonders around during operation.

brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
2005 rinker captiva 192 bought tuesday took out today with myself wife and 3 kids 14 and under. no matter what i tried it would not come up on plane. the nose would come up like it was trying and the rear swim platform would start dragging the water ( the drive trimmed all the way down ) im thinking this prop is the wrong pitch as the motor sounded like it was working its butt off but not getting anywhere. the tach is erratic so i don't know how many rpm's i was pushing and the speedo doesnt work either the thing at the back of the boat is full of dirt dobber and i gotta clean it out. sorry if the pictures are way to large im on my phone at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    on the steering cylinder. there is a shiny spot where the hole thing moves left and right before the outdrive does. is that supposed to do that?

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
    Did you take the boat out for a test run before you bought it? The wondering your experiencing at slow speed is most likely normal, usually you don't get good control until higher speeds.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    You really need to get your tach working in order to accurately diagnose the issue but I can say that a 17" prop is way too shallow for your setup.  I ran an 18" on mine to try and although it has an amazing holeshot, the cruising rpm was way too high. I settled on a 20" 4-blade which was a good compromise for watersports and cruising. 

The engine shouldn't be working that hard given the pitch but suspect you have very high RPM's. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    edited June 2017
    no i wasnt able to take it out when i first got it due to weather but we ran it off the water attachment things so i could listen to the motor and outdrive to hear if there was any grinding or issues.
  • Options
    Oh, and do yourself a favour a ditch the hydrofoil and put on a set of Nauticus Smart tabs.  They will give you much better performance as far as stability and reduced planing rpm and way less porpoising.

Mark 

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    yea high rpms is what i ment by working its butt off. sorry
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    so a 14 1/4 x 20" prop is good for wakeboarding and tubbing and stuff?

or a different  number x20?
  • Options
    thanks for the recommendations MVN i will look into the smart tabs and try a new prop
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    @brianc613 ....It's a small 6 with 2 barrel. ??....any idea when it was tuned. ..how much does the 5 weigh along with gear & dirt dobbers....where was everyone sitting 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    the motor is new installed in feb of this year.  the 5 of us + gear might weigh 550lbs max.  i was driving the wife was sitting in the other captains chair and the kids were behind us on the bench. i put the coolers of food and drinks up in the front to try and add some weight but it didn't help much if at all.

and yes it is a v6 with carb.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Here was my setup on the 2005 192 4.3L V6 carb.  It took me awhile to figure things out but with this prop, WOT RPM was bang on and the tabs made a huge difference in stability and control.  Low speed wandering is typical for a single sterndrive setup.

Mark

2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    nice setup. this is my first boat so im learning as i go but i did fond out that there is a thing as a "spun hub" i believe this is what was going on with my boat. after talking to a local prop shop what he described is exactly what was going on so im gonna take it off mark it and go for a test run to see if that's whats going on. he also agreed that a 17p is probably not enough for water sports and recommended a 19p or a 20p 4 blade also like you fine folks said so im probably gonna order one once i get the current issue figured out for sure. i will post back in once i get a chance to get it out and see if it is a spun hub. thanks
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I've got about the same boat but with fuel injection. It came with a 3x19 and had a hard time planing, also.  I switched to a 4x17 and it's much better.  Adding the Smarttabs was another good step forward and I highly recommend them, as well.  The 2 of those combined and it's a totally different boat good for tubing and boarding. Odd honestly like to drop 1 more step in pitch, but need to verify tack readings before throwing any more $$$ in it as it works pretty well as-is.

Hard to believe the P.O. had any success wakeboarding (seeing the tower) as it is.

Mine wanders at low speeds as well- constantly correcting.  Up on plane is just fine.
  • Options
    So I had the hub replaced because it was definitely spinning at higher rpm's. The boat is still a pain to get on plane almost like the swim deck is acting like an anchor but it did drop down on plane with me and the wife in it. I ordered the trim tabs and a new 4 blade prop. When they all come in I will put on the tabs and see how it does with this prop and the new one and report back.
  • Options
    You're going to be amazed at the difference those 2 things will make.  What pitch did you go with?
  • Options
    so we managed to get to the lake today and OMG the difference... the boat jumped up on plane so fast with the trim tabs. its amazing what those things did.

NRath i put on an aluminum 4 blade 14x20pitch.

only thing i did notice is the list to the passenger side is noticeable with the batteries and other gear on that side. i didn't get a chance to adjust the tabs to help reduce that yet but im sure its easy
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that a couple of smaller things (relatively in the world of boat bucks) solved this issue for you. Welcome! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    See?  Told you so!  Glad to hear everything worked out for you.  You will really enjoy the boat now. As far as the listing issue goes, that's typical for a 192.  Try to redistribute the weight. You can adjust tab pressure easily but it's not the preferred method as it's not something you can adjust on the fly like traditional trim tabs.  No harm in trying though. 

Mark 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    I've had similar issues with the list you described on occasion.  I'd say the issue is that there is a slight list at launch leading to 1 of the tabs coming up and 1 doesn't.  Once its on plane, the list is pretty significant.  I've found that giving a little turn during the launch towards the side that the tab wasn't coming up will push them both up and life is good.  I adjusted them a couple times, but never really found the setting to fix the problem and lost interest in adjusting them as the bump in launch works pretty good.  I'm pretty content with the Smarttabs given their cost, but I can def see the benefit to some helm adjustable tabs.

I'm curious about your wide-open-throttle rpm and top speed.  As memory serves, with my 4x17, I was topping out rpm's at about 4000 and 47mph.  Not that I really care about top speed, but that tells me I could be getting a little more holeshot than I have now with another drop in pitch. The Admiral hates high speed runs, so I don't get to wind it up very often.
  • Options
    nortnort Member Posts: 4
    I have a rinker 192 with the same issues.  I am thinking of going with the smart trim tabs, What size did you install 60lb or 80lb? i am using a 3 blade 19 pitch prop.  will most likely change to the 4 x 20  
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @NRath I'm still working on the tach. It's not working correctly so I can't say for sure what rpm's I'm running. It bounces around sometimes and just does all kinds of stupid stuff.

@nort I installed the 60lb ones. I used the smart tab website to determine what should work best then I Google and searched to see who all had this boat and what tabs they used and most everyone I read used the 60 with exception of a few used the 80lb ones but they were always close to the max weight rating of there boat.
  • Options
    nortnort Member Posts: 4
    Thank you brianc I was thinking that's what I would buy.  I am going to order today and see what happens next week