Options

Anybody ever been a support boat for an open-water swim?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
edited June 2017 in Generator Discussions
A couple weeks from now, a buddy of mine is doing a 5-mile solo open-water swim across the Potomac, and I'm going to be his safety boat.  If anybody here has done something similar, I'd be interested in whatever tips you have.

His coach (daughter) will be alongside in her kayak as the monitor.  My job is to provide navigation, communications and moral support.  First challenge, figure out the right heading that accounts for tidal current so he doesn't swim farther than needed.  

I'll have a diver flag, first-aid gear and lots of hot coffee.  

I'm wondering if I should issue a Securite call on channel 16.  We'll be in the water for close to three hours, and we'll cross the main channel of the Potomac.  The channel isn't super-busy, and freight traffic is rare, but we get the occasional barge or a few other big vessels.  For sure, if anything big is headed our way, I'll hail them on 16.  

I'm pretty excited about it, although I can't begin to imagine swimming five miles.  This guy is amazing. 
Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done raft's and car tube's and non motorize boats, your on the right track. Remember commercial traffic do not stop. I'm sure you keep binoculars, on board, to anticipate timing of other vessels. keep your boat between him and them. In my area nobody uses radio's anymore. He's a tough one. We being poor, did not have throw ring, so we tie a long rope to a flat boat cushion.  just in case.  A couple extra spotter's on board is helpful. have fun!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    The swim was a success!  In case somebody reads this looking for guidance:  it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm not talking about the swim!  My buddies Doug and Zach are 100% macho stud hombres.  They knocked out the five-mile swim like it was a walk in the park.  No, the hard part was keeping my boat on a steady course at 1.7 mph.  

Autopilot?  Forget about it.  At 1.7 mph, my AP couldn't control the boat.  I had one engine in neutral while I worked the other one constantly in and out of gear, trying to get the speed right.  And my neck is sore from looking back to know when I was getting too far ahead.  

The real challenge was wind.  It was blowing 6-8 mph directly across our course.  Wind doesn't affect swimmers, but it was pushing my boat around like a kite.  For most of the swim, I had the boat pointed 30-40 degrees to port while I was sawing the wheel back and forth trying to hold a good course-over-ground.  

It was kind of funny.  Picture two exhausted swimmers behind the boat, looking 40 degrees to starboard at the destination still a mile away, and thinking -- could we please point the boat over there?

I will say that the finish after almost three hours was a thrill for everybody!  The entire day was huge fun, and I'd recommend it to anybody.  

Just don't expect to sit back and relax while you're driving.  Also, get one of those rear-view mirrors that people use for water-skiing.  It will save wear and tear on your neck!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great success story, sore neck.
    Boat Name :