Options

2015 Rinker 276 CC Battery Issues

Danimal0531Danimal0531 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2017 in Rinker Support Q&A
Having issues with either my batteries or battery switch.  I always turn the batteries off when i leave the boat, and my battery switch has 3 positions.  Off, On & Combine (emergency).  Historically i've always run the batteries in the "on" position, however lately i've had to start the motor with "combine - emergency"

Bear with me as i'm still a novice boater, and don't want to pay the service dept an hour labor just to check the charge of my batteries, however am i doing something wrong with operating the switch? does it sound like a dead battery issue?
Post edited by Danimal0531 on

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    There's a bunch of similar threads about this topic, but I'll try and point out some area's to look.

1. You should never move the switch position while the boat's running...it can cause damage to the boats charging system.  Only move the switch when the engine is off.

2.  You should have a battery isolator somewhere and it could be defective.  An isolator "isolates" each battery so that one battery can't drain the other.  It almost sounds like this could be the case since after some time 1 battery won't start, but combining both of them on the switch will.  It could be you have a bad battery and it's draining the good one.

3.  The isolator also allows the alternator to charge both batteries regardless of what switch position you are in.

4.  Wouldn't hurt to put a multi meter on the batteries with engine running to see if indeed they are charging while underway...which could also be either the alternator or the isolator.

Just a side note...I never turn my switch off during the season I see no point.

If I think of something else I post back...others will chime in I'm sure.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Appreciate the feedback, got in the habit of turning them off because they were often dead when i got to the boat.  Found out last summer that the fridge was wired incorrectly from the factory, and was pulling amperage even with the switch in the off position.
  • Options
    Do you have an on board charger?  Same should apply...it should charge both batteries regardless of switch position while on shore power or genny.  Odd that your batteries would be dead when you got to the boat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I got the boat in late 2015, just still consider myself a novice.  Also to note, possibly related, my depth gauge (factory) was going in and out on my latest ride in.

To be honest, not sure if i have an onboard charger, i keep a jump pack on the boat just in case.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how your boat is setup...but my charger and isolator are mounted to the bulkhead in the engine compartment.  Isolator will have 3 lugs on it....1 for the alternator and 2 for each battery.  The charger be somewhere nearby and will probably have something on it to indicate it's a charger.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Found these on the web, pretty good representation of the engine bay and battery switch 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got the same exact boat as yours Danimal, but no fridge or shore power. 

I'd water the house battery is shot from being completely discharged multiple times. That's really tough on a battery, and if it's like mine it's not a true deep cycle, it's a dual purpose. 

I dock in Harrison twp and live in Macomb twp, and I know our boat inside and out, so id be more than happy to come help figure it out. 

My house battery is done and I'm going to get a group 31 deep cycle from Sam's club. It'd be a very worthwhile upgrade for you also, imo. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    And to echo the other guys NEVER move the switch with the engine running. You can damage very expensive electronics and strand yourself on the water.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3