Options

Camper top or mooring cover at night. On or Off? Questions on how each of you manage your boat.

WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
So now that we replaced the camper top and eisenglass i have some new questions.   The factory windshield connector does not allow for much airflow to the driver seat.  Do you take your eisenglass down each time you use the boat?  If so, do you wash the glass first before taking it down and rolling it up every time or do you just unzip and roll?   What about at night, are you putting the camper back up for overnight?  What about when leaving the boat for say a week at work?    I use my boat often thru the week and all weekend.   Just curious to how everyone else is managing taking the tops down and back up.
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a mooring cover for when the boat s in storage, I covet the enclosure. So if either is to get eaten up by the sun I will sacrifice the mooring cover. That being said, we are on the boat a couple weekends a mont which if I used it more, I'd use what I got!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I only have mine on early spring and late fall. It is rare to cruise with It fully on due to backdraft on exhaust and wind resistance.  So I am constantly taking pieces on an off. Like Ras I use my mooring cover most of the time. Whatever you do make sure you purchase spacers so the eisenglass doesn't lay against the SS poles.  They will burn the plastic in no time when it gets hot.
    Post edited by davidbrooks on
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mooring cover is only used while the boat is in winter storage inside or if I need to take the camper top pieces home to do a repair, otherwise it's all camper enclosure from May-Oct. I like to keep it open while we are on the boat, weather permitting I open up the middle of the front connector and remove all of the eisenglass aft of the arch. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    nick92675nick92675 Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    first couple seasons i did the camper 24/7, now it's mooring.  trying to save camper for only when it's needed and in use. also prevents instruments and everything else from sun damage and the mooring should be cheaper to replace than the camper when it goes, so it takes the brunt of the elements.  camper for overnighting.  then usually it's just bimini up during normal usage.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely use my camper top. I use the cockpit cover when I am overnighting on the boat at the slip and when I am not at the boat during the week. The only time I use the camper top is when I get caught out and it is going to rain.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    All summer - camper top, cover when it gets cooler awaiting haul and winterizing typically although last year I got inside storage so it stayed on longer until the guys (and I) finished doing a few things. Then I pull the cover on until about a week before launch.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have a mooring cover and visit the boat about 4 times a week anyway so full camper top up all the time and then remove various panels as required by weather. Top portion always on as we like the shade it provides.
    Yes,  eventually it will get Sun beat but regular treatment of canvas and eisenglass helps.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Camper top always on for me too.  Visit the boat every weekend and remove rear and side panels...usually leave the windshield connector on but sometimes remove that as well.  Bimini stay's up...I've maybe once or twice folded it to arch position.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do cover my dash, all seats and the freezer and fridge fronts with bed sheets to keep from sun damage. I use plastex on the eisenglass to keep them protected. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I use my mooring cover mostly.  Putting up a camper top is one of my least favorite things to do, I dislike putting it away even more.  When I'm real lazy or its going to rain I have been known to crawl under the mooring cover and sleep in the cabin.
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the weather.  If it's going to rain... throw the mooring cover on it.. if it's cold, front windows in.  If warm and no rain for days, just the bimini open.. 
  • Options
    I only have mine on early spring and late fall. It is rare to cruise with It fully on due to backdraft on exhaust and wind resistance.  So I am constantly taking pieces on an off. Like Ras I use my mooring cover most of the time. Whatever you do make sure you purchase spacers so the eisenglass doesn't lay against the SS poles.  They will burn the plastic in no time when it gets hot.
    Where do you get spacers?  I asked TJ about this and he said he wasnt aware of them.  

• Options
    My mooring cover is only used while the boat is in winter storage inside or if I need to take the camper top pieces home to do a repair, otherwise it's all camper enclosure from May-Oct. I like to keep it open while we are on the boat, weather permitting I open up the middle of the front connector and remove all of the eisenglass aft of the arch. 
    I tried this to, i find i dont get enough air flow to the captains seat.   Im going to have to take the front connector / windsheild down more.

• Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

These are available at West Marine or other marine stores. Come in a package of 6.

Ridiculously expensive for a piece of plastic, but a necessity!

• Options
    I rarely use my camper top. I use the cockpit cover when I am overnighting on the boat at the slip and when I am not at the boat during the week. The only time I use the camper top is when I get caught out and it is going to rain.
    How do you use the cockpit cover when you are over nighting?  Do you crawl under it?   Seems like you are locking yourself in.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you use the cockpit cover when you are over nighting?  Do you crawl under it?   Seems like you are locking yourself in.
    I crawl in. It also helps keep the cabin dark since the door is translucent. It is a PITA to crawl in, but since I rarely have my camper top up, I feel that it is easier than putting all of the glass up.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camper top up all the time usually get down to the boat late so nice to it all closed in.all glass down when driving can just see better.wind blows admiral says put it up.sun comes out admiral says take it down I'm hot.Did I tell you I love boating.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We leave the camper top up.  About the only time the mooring cover sees the light of day is between the time the boat is put up on land and the shrink wrap goes on.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Only have the camper top, I was going to have a mooring made, but the first few years I spent so much time working on the boat, it was easier with the camper top. I take the top off and fold the bimini for trailering, bimini up for hot sunny days, windshield connector and side curtains when raining, camper top for overnighting and covering for the season. I make a structure and tarp it for the winter. 
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm mooring cover from Memorial day to Labor day, but I always keep the camper setup on the boat in case of rain or a chilly day during the summer. I dont have AC / heat, so I have to adjust the canvas based on weather. The colder months I leave the camper on all the time, and usually take the rear piece off its it nice enough to lay out on the sunpad.

I dont get any station wagon effect (and yes I have a portable CO detector on the boat). I wonder if my slant back is better for preventing that, versus a straight back rear piece.

View Original Image
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    @Wildboating.  WestMarine or other locations have them.  http://www.discountmarinestore.com/Bimini-Curtain-Spacer-7-8-p388.html.  Get Extra.  The little buggers pop off into the water at times.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I leave the camper top up all the time on the 360 and remove different panels every time we are down.  I always leave the side panels up under the swim arch as they are a pita to put up.  I usually always leave the front port side windshield panel up to block the spray and wind while underway from hitting the admiral and kids.  My only concern is the eisenglass gets beat up pretty quickly from the sun when you leave it up all the time.  However since i started using 404 clear eisenglass protectant it seems to make it hold up better.  All those 404 products are great!
    On my old 270 the cockpit cover was better fitting and easier to manage being a smaller boat, so i rarely put the camper top up unless there was weather.