Options

Techmate scan tool by Rinda

duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Engine Discussions
any one have experience with the techmate pro scan tool by Rinda technologies? i am looking to buy a scan tool and doing my research as to which one i want to buy. it seems to be reasonable in price and very versatile between mercury and volvo.

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one.  Bought it for my last boat and i can tell you that it has already paid for itself in mechanics fees.  Being able to read out the fault codes is indispensable.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have one, but the Rinda is the recommended one.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who has the PC software and interface from Rinda.  HE was able to use that to change the smartcraft setting on my port motor so it knew it was port.  They are pricey but I've considered getting one.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I have one.  Bought it for my last boat and i can tell you that it has already paid for itself in mechanics fees.  Being able to read out the fault codes is indispensable.
    i look at it as an investment as well. i am only 43 and will be boating as long as i'm breathing and i like to work on my boats.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the Rinda scan tool,very easy to use has help out alot,Keep it on the boat at all times.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    i purchased mine today. it will be here tuesday according to ups.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Interesting topic.  Which Rinda tool did you guys buy, and from whom?  

The key point is that most people on our forum are owners.  Rinda markets their stuff to mechanics that need a general tool suitable for many boats.  Owners need a specific tool for their boat, and they don't care if it has adapters for every boat since 2002.  What do you recommend?

And, let me be the first to say -- Rinda's web site is terrible.  The content is virtually unchanged since I started watching it a decade ago.  It's not set up for consumers. Those folks need a web designer, stat.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    My mechanic uses the Rhinda tool and has a bunch of connectors for different engines. I thought about buying one but quite honestly if you have a vessel view, mercmonitor, or even the Bluetooth vesselview module you will get the codes. I have the BT module so will rely on that for now.  I got it for free but I think it's quite a bit cheaper than the Rhinda. Granted it doesn't give you near the data or programming capabilities of the Rhinda. 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Interesting topic.  Which Rinda tool did you guys buy, and from whom?  

The key point is that most people on our forum are owners.  Rinda markets their stuff to mechanics that need a general tool suitable for many boats.  Owners need a specific tool for their boat, and they don't care if it has adapters for every boat since 2002.  What do you recommend?

And, let me be the first to say -- Rinda's web site is terrible.  The content is virtually unchanged since I started watching it a decade ago.  It's not set up for consumers. Those folks need a web designer, stat.
    i agree about the site, they definitely need to upgrade.  i bought the unit directly from Rinda. i called the number on the screen. the guy that answered the phone was very knowledgeable and helpful. he asked me what year engine i had, and included the correct adapter with the scan tool.the cost was 499, no tax. shipping seemed a little high at 19 bucks from chicago to cincinnati but oh well. 

the purchase of this tool is an investment for life. it will tell you more than just engine codes and when i buy a different boat, i can buy the adapter for that model for 50 bucks. local shop wants 105 bucks for one hour of labor to connect a scan tool and read the engine history and check for any codes. and they are 3-4 weeks out to do that. i will have the scan tool in my hands on tuesday and have 20% of the tool already pay for itself without waiting 3 weeks. i do all my work on my boat no matter how small or big of a job. no more guessing games on what it could be. i could have saved myself 200 bucks on fuel pumps this past week if i had the scan tool to tell me my timing was off x amount of degrees(so guess the scan tool was 700 bucks! lol). the headaches saved alone from  having this tool makes it worth it to me. not too mention money in throwing parts at a problem. i will know more about the scanner once i get it in my hands and post an update on my thoughts of it ability.