Options

Living on a Rinker... anyone do it?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Throw out some models and years that you think would be conducive to living aboard!  Looking for the kind of info that only owners of certain models would know, that inside knowledge of actual experience.

My living situation (prob the best one I've ever had) is going to change next year as the place is going to be sold, it's going on the market at the end of summer.  I've always wanted to live aboard, and if it was a desperate situation could do it on the 270 for a short while, assuming I could store all my stuff a the parents place.  However, I'm talking real live aboard for a year or two.  

Keep in mind that would mean wintering at the dock (Nov to May it's cold).. 

When you look at some of the crazy realestate prices here we're talking 300k+ for a small house in mediocre shape, or 300k for a small condo in NICE move in shape. 

Thinking a semi new rinker with axis drives at 150k+ sounds kind of fun instead.. any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raybo3 did it LOL. It will increase the maintenance of the boat. 
  • Options
    Where do you dock? Do they turn off the water in the winter?? Do they allow live aboards? I would do it if I were single. 
  • Options
    Where do you dock? Do they turn off the water in the winter?? Do they allow live aboards? I would do it if I were single. 
    That can all be arranged no problem.  Have been looking into buying a place for a while, but I just look at all those taxes and fees that would earn me NOTHING in return and I think about how I'd rather throw that money into a boat and actually enjoy it.. (No boat property tax here)
  • Options
    Here's an example.  How tough do you think it would be living on this boat? http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-rinker-342-fiesta-vee-103080380

I'm not really planning on having kids... and even if I somehow end up in that situation, seems like this isn't that big of a deal, would just sell the boat and move on. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For around 64 grand, how could you go wrong- I would do it if single- would have to have a storage shed somewhere...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go any smaller than a 342. You are going to want the space. Tony Walker and his wife did the great loop on a 342. It's a good size to start at. The separate shower is key!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    50' - 60' Sailing Catamaran based in the British Virgin Islands. Now THAT"S living!!!! Plus you can make money doing crewed yacht charters. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Depends on situation.  If single i could live anywhere.  If you have a significant other or plan to i would say no smaller than a 400.  Kids would make it even bigger.  We did over 60 nights last season on our 360 with two young kids and if our boat sold this offseason we would be in a 460 fly bridge...  Fun but weeks at a clip can get to feeling pretty darn confined.
    My wife and i plan to retire on a liveaboard so long as we can keep up with the maintenance and move around ok.  In that scenario i personally wouldn't want anything but a flybridge type boat.  That way you get alot of livable area down below.  Probably a 46-52 footer.
  • Options
    yeah, single for now...the plan would be staying "single" I'm in my 30's all the women I date have their own places... and I've done the live in girlfriend thing, not happening for a LONG time again.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In southern state's people live aboard all the time. When in FL , Handy pointed out folks living on houseboats & large cruisers all the time. Up north where you are would be difficult, water, is the main issue, unless you go somewhere else to shower, hopefully daily. Then there is the toilet and freezing holding tank. The living with girlfriend is not that bad?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Keep your current boat, buy a nice sized RV and park it at the marina??....

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• Options
    J3ff said:
    yeah, single for now...the plan would be staying "single" I'm in my 30's all the women I date have their own places... and I've done the live in girlfriend thing, not happening for a LONG time again.  
    All them women see you on a nice boat you won't be single long. LOL
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    I know a couple who bought a 410 and lived on it all year in New Buffalo Michigan.  They removed both motors and transmission sold them and installed a wine cellar    I was flabbergasted 
     :o 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I lived on my 342 for a almost a year. I was alone. It was a little small but worked out ok. Heat was fine. IMO if your going to stay on the boat all winter make sure you leave the heat on. In the summer I would shut the A/C off when I left the boat.... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    93Vee93Vee Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Where did you dock in the winter?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We love our 342, wife and I along with our small dog are fine for every summer weekend and the occasional week vacation. I could probably spend the summer on it alone but that would be it. I wouldn't want to live on it year round. That said I would absolutely lice aboard year round but if I did it would probably be bigger, older, and have inboards (preferably diesel). You can get a decent 38-42 flybridge with diesel inboards for around $150k and have a lot more space and not have drives in the saltwater year round. A fly pretty much has a living room and you will need a place to relax all winter long. 342 will get real small in January. If you want Rinker go with an early 2000s 410. In your price range and a lot more space including a washer dryer. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    what would the cost for slip space,electric.cable....etc
    boat payment
    cost of maintenance
    any other expenses related......?
    would be easier in a warm climate.
    what would your expenses be if you bought the condo @ 300k  
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I could live on my Rinker if I had this tied up to it...

• Options
    We love our 342, wife and I along with our small dog are fine for every summer weekend and the occasional week vacation. I could probably spend the summer on it alone but that would be it. I wouldn't want to live on it year round. That said I would absolutely lice aboard year round but if I did it would probably be bigger, older, and have inboards (preferably diesel). You can get a decent 38-42 flybridge with diesel inboards for around $150k and have a lot more space and not have drives in the saltwater year round. A fly pretty much has a living room and you will need a place to relax all winter long. 342 will get real small in January. If you want Rinker go with an early 2000s 410. In your price range and a lot more space including a washer dryer. 
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-rinker-410-express-cruiser-103081500/
    good?

• Options
    Wow!! That's cheap!! I was going to suggest a fresh water 400 in Pittsburgh, but it's $180k for a 2010. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sure there's something wrong with it just below the water line.. going to go walk around on it anyway.. 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    Yeah, I'm sure there's something wrong with it just below the water line.. going to go walk around on it anyway.. 
    Never hurts to look.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    heres another - I wonder if one of the beds could be removed and turned into an "office" type of room. 

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Rinker-410-Express-Cruiser-2839404/Baltimore/MD/United-States
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice...if I bought anything like this, I'd have to live on it.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    @craigswardmtb I think we are truly living the same lives....I feel like I wrote what you said (except insert 400 for 360 and kids getting little older now). Guys, as far as the cheaper 410s you have shown. One main reason they are cheap is no hardtop. It's a tough boat to sell without it. Also, the 410/420 is really tough on fuel. Add to that when you leave the dock, you need to run the Genny for that full size fridge. But, on topic, could be a great cheap live aboard. You'd want to convert the washer dryer over not to pump into your black tank (and use environment safe detergent). Our 40 is easy for a couple to live on. Our family will be on ours for about 80 nights over this boating season.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff those are some good finds at decent prices. As far as living on a Rinker affoddably those would be the way to go. Dream makes a good point on the hard top but if the budget is under $100k that would be the sacrifice. I'd rather live on a soft top 41 than a soft top 34 :) Those inboards will be thirsty but they will handle rough seas way better than I/o's and docking is a lot easier. Our next boat will absolutely be inboards due to the shallow Lake Erie chop that we have. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    J3ff said:
    heres another - I wonder if one of the beds could be removed and turned into an "office" type of room. 

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Rinker-410-Express-Cruiser-2839404/Baltimore/MD/United-States
    I am sure if you got creative, the single bed could be removed and a desk put in it's place. Make the desk top hinged so you still have access to what is underneath the current bed.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    i've never lived on a rinker, but if the fiance keeps it up, i'll get to find out!! lol

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

I am sure if you got creative, the single bed could be removed and a desk put in it's place. Make the desk top hinged so you still have access to what is underneath the current bed.

My dream boat......
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I dunno - I'd miss my acre of land, my tractor, my tablesaw, our 2 yr old remodeled, expanded gourmet kitchen, our master retreat spa suite, our fireplace,etc.etc. Just couldn't do the minimalist lifestyle.