Options

outdrive play

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2017 in Engine Discussions
I have my drive off to replace bellows and lower shift cable. I'm starting to understand a bit how all the stuff turns and tilts a little better. I have the drive off but not the bell housing. As it sits right now, if I grab the housing and lift it up there is little play- if I move it right to left, it moves maybe 1/8 to a 1/4 maybe? Boat has about 300 hours on it so I would not think due for any major redo in this area. What are the two nuts above the bell housing, is there some adjustment for tho to tighten it up? Going to pull up the manual as well...

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will lift up and down since the drive is not on. The rams control the up and down. The side to side play that you are getting is normal.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    FYI the 2 nuts tighten the U-bolt that holds the gimbal ring to the swivel pin. These can be torqued per the manual. Key is to check play with drive on, you'll see more with the length and weight of drive 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I meant to say the gimbal ring, mot the housing...so sounds like I'm good? I'm not tearing into that this go around...when I do, I will do it all...