1990 Fiesta Vee 300 original equipment

Just purchased a 1990 Fiesta Vee 300.  First powerboat; but I have sailed/a  for 40+ yrs

Not a lot of documentation with it and the PO wasn't a lot of help

It has twin 350 Mercruisers with outdrives.  Is there a quick way of identifying what Model the drives are, and/or nameplate location?
There was no obvious engine cooling water through hull and again the PO had sort of a blank stare when I asked him where the through hulls and water pumps were located.  It is a freshwater boat with no heat exchanger/closed loop that I am aware of. 

I have never owned an outdrive before; is it possible the engine cooling water comes from the outdrive?  It would seem pretty logical to get a water pickup from the leading edge of the outdrive, but again i am a complete newbie to I/O.

To be honest I haven't spent a lot of time on the boat yet as it is a couple hours drive away.  I was just hoping to identify the drives, get what manual may be available online then use it to go through the systems on the boat this coming weekend.  Also haven't see it out of the water but that's another story

Thanks for whatever help you can be 
Peter

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most likely alpha 1 gen 2 in 1990.there are sec.# on port side upper case.but Thier just printed on probably not there any more.Google images you will see the difference.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're lucky there are serial numbers on the covers over the flame arrestors. 

The water comes in through the drives, into the motor, then back out the drives in most cases.  The Alphas have impellers like outboard motors.  Not sure about the Bravo 1 or 2, but the Bravo 3 drives have a external water pump to pull the water from the drives and push it to the motors.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    My 1994 300 vee has alpha 1 gen 2 drives , with 5.7l carbed engines

the drives have impellers that push water into the engine
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you buy such an old boat?? 27 years old??
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhh....maybe had what he wanted at the right price? My FV270 is 17 years old but only 250 hours and in great shape. Shinier and better looking than over half the boats in my marina. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Well lets see what Peter says
  • JustCuzzJustCuzz Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for all the help, Renee, Stoge and F1100.  I did some reading up on the Alpha 1 drives presuming they were likely the ones.  I will be up at the boat this weekend and will do some further exploration/research.
    I was surprised that what looks like 1/2" copper transfer tube can pass enough water to cool a 350 motor.  My 26hp diesel raw water pump pushes more water than that but it goes through a heat exchanger so that might have some impact.
    Is there some recommended service interval for these impellers?  They are much easier to check on my diesel...

As to the age Handymans; Willhound is exactly right;  price price price.  The sun is much less abusive up here and we are in fresh water so the boats remain cherry if they are looked after with any amount of care.
    This is an experiment in shared ownership for a 3-5 yr period to enable us to do the Trent/Severn, Rideau and some of the Erie Barge Canal which we can't traverse in our sailboat with 6'6" draft.
    The boat appears in great shape with mid 800 engine hours.  I have almost as many hours on the diesel in my sailboat that is 17 yrs old (owned since new).  I primarily use the engine only for in and out of a short river entrance to Lake Ontario.

Thanks again to all.
    Peter

My 1994 300 vee, has ALL the same functions as a new boat, it does everything the same..and has no electronic crap to malfunction on the engines :)

And it only cost me $20k cdn. Its just as fast a a new version, has the same galley layout, same bed layouts.. ect ect.. it has the exact same functionality.. except is vastly cheaper :)

AND I am not worried about it :)

other than a few scratches and wear and tear, its awesome :)

plus being in all white, it actually looks like a modern boat with its lines

I am going to run it until either a drive craps out, or a engine and then part it out :)

so far it has not had any issues
    Pic of the old girl
    F1100 said:
    Pic of the old girl
    Where?
    edited June 2017
    pic of the drives on my boat

http://imgur.com/a/QzMtF

Don't see any pictures
    hmm for some reason it did not download?
    F1100 said:
    hmm for some reason it did not download?
    Must be the operator. LOL
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

@justCuzz - The impellers in your drive should be changed out every two years as preventive maintenance.  The alpha drive is a little bit particular when putting back together (after changing out impeller).  You need to make sure the seal ring on the drive does not get bumped as you mate the lower unit back onto the upper.

@Stodge - All 3 bravos have the pumps on the engines in the boat. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Thanks F1100, Dream Inn
    F1100, where are you on Simcoe?  We are in Starport on Simcoe

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Good to know DI.  I only have first hand experience with B3.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

JustCuzz said:
    Thanks F1100, Dream Inn
    F1100, where are you on Simcoe?  We are in Starport on Simcoe

We are at Lefroy harbor :)
    Other end of Simcoe...
    We will have to get together at some point next summer.
    This summer is committed to my sailboat...
    Peter
    :)  
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    U had alPhas on ur old rinker lol come one stodge