Options

This is what happens when someone else runs your boat lift

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

After a nice evening Thursday night stopping in at a local waterfront restaurant and coming back to my dock...this is what I saw...

It was actually still caught under the dock with the lift broken.  The cleaners were done with the boat and then left the lift on and walked away...thinking the sensor would shut it off.  It didn't and kept running until the front cables snapped, bow went under the dock, then the stern cable broke and the boat went sideways under the dock.  Luckily she didn't sink.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! There goes the rest of summer waiting on that insurance claim!  :#
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Would not want that boat back 
    2.  Would have been bettee if it sank IMO. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    Please tell me that's not your boat
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    And tell me the detailer is paid-up on his insurance premiums.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean left on and sensors stop it? 
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    The switch was put in the "up" position with the assumption that there were limit switches that would turn the winch off once in the full up position (similar to the trim limit  switch on your outdrive). 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Wow,  talk about a bad day.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regular maintenence and your boat is destroyed that sucks
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dream hasn't confirmed whether this was his boat.   I'm assuming it was since he hasn't posted any updates. At this point he's probably had enough of the bad luck and finally choked someone and is in jail.  Man, I look at that damage and wonder how the heII is that gonna get fixed. ... I still hope it isn't his boat. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    @Trashman Dreams boat is white on white so this must be a dock neighbor that had the misfortune.

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options
    @Trashman Dreams boat is white on white so this must be a dock neighbor that had the misfortune.
    Oh boy, that's great news.  ... Not for the other guy.    
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    99.99 % marinas will run the hoist and set boats
    detailers only do what they do best.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not the Dream Inn.  Man happy that wasn't me or there would be mothers running to cover their kids ears or they would learn a whole new way to stitch together bad words.  At my marina i have only ever seen two people operate the lift.  The owner and his senior guy...and i am one slip away from it.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    Looking at that picture didn't someone add that red stripe on their boat??????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Sorry guys, I've been boating all weekend and getting my boat ready for the 10-day trip to VA beach!  This boat was about 5 or 6 slips down from me.  Some of the lifts have the switches where you can have them run and stop at a limit.  There is also a switch that let's you override it.  My lift you have to hold the button (or remote) to operate the lift.  It can be a pain, but also makes sure you stay there to watch it.  There is only 3 people I know that would ever be allowed to operate my lift (2 are dock neighbors with identical boats and lifts, the third is the guy that fixes/maintains my lift)

• Options
    Hey DI is that a Rinker and is he a RBOC member????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Hey DI is that a Rinker and is he a RBOC member????

It's a 3560 Regal.  Absolutely beautiful boat!  Owner just bought it last year.

• Options
    Yeah I thought it was but wanted to ask. Looks just like a boat that was at my club a couple years ago. What a shame something like that happening. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it wasn't your boat. That's a mess. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    Glad it wasn't your boat. That's a mess. 

Thanks!  Me too!  If had, I actually think I would've gotten out of boating!  I've been thru enough the last 5 years to last for a very long time!

• Options
    Oh I thought you meant a lift like in a picture?
    you mean just a regular above water hoist
    i was gonna say what marina allows people to drive around and operate boat lifts lol
    specially having your private 
  • Options

Oh sorry, I guess the picture can make it appear I was talking about that type of lift.  Yes, I'm talking about a regular boat lift in your slip that you'd use each weekend.

Here are a couple more pics...

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah, yes, you had us thinking a marina staff did that on the travel lift!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel his pain
  • Options
    You know, this past Wednesday, I was doing a favor for a good boating friend. I had to put his lift down a bit....I heard this crackle sound, and well, his cables spool on top of itself (like a fishing reel), not a good thing. So I looked at it when it made the noise and it looked frayed. I thought, not good, I'm gonna leave it alone.....SNAP! yep one cable broke, port stern hit the water. Luckily I was able to put it in the water with no damage...but boy do I feel stupid. I should've shut it off immediately and said I don't like it. Heck, no more running anyone else's lift!

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Visual inspections every time Dream
  • Options
    ChesapeakeChillerChesapeakeChiller Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    You know, this past Wednesday, I was doing a favor for a good boating friend. I had to put his lift down a bit....I heard this crackle sound, and well, his cables spool on top of itself (like a fishing reel), not a good thing. So I looked at it when it made the noise and it looked frayed. I thought, not good, I'm gonna leave it alone.....SNAP! yep one cable broke, port stern hit the water. Luckily I was able to put it in the water with no damage...but boy do I feel stupid. I should've shut it off immediately and said I don't like it. Heck, no more running anyone else's lift!

Two broken lifts wow scary! Does that Marina own the lifts or the slip holder?

2004 Cruisers Yachts 320 W/6.2L I/B's

Boat Name- Anchor Management, Mayo MD

• Options

Mostly the slip holders own the lifts.  There has actually been 3 lifts that have snapped, but only two to neglect.  I believe most are the 7/16 SS.  I measured for @handymans342 -he'll remember what I told him.  The larger lifts cables don't wind in top of itself.  Mine is also a 4 motor lift.  Again, people just need to maintain them a bit better and monitor much better. If I had one burr in the cable, I'd be replacing it.  Unfortunately I had to just replace two gearplates.