Options

AC water pump fail

welliswellis Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Electrical Discussions
My AC water pump crapped out. The marina wanted $500 to repair it telling me the pump was $300 of the expense. So being the do-it-yourselfer, I did some google searching and found the same pump from a pond supplier for $109 shipped. Added a "T" in line at the low point with a valve to drain the water for winter storage. All done AC blowing cold, 1-1/2 hours for $120 with new motor, fittings, SS clamps and heat shrink. $380 left to add to my new Garmin!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't marine rated
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calpump at defender 149,same brand as oem
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done. Yeah, once you get into it, it's not rocket science. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    same thing i did. going on my 3rd season and it still works great.

• Options
    Wasn't marine rated
    For the most part Marine rated is just a label to charge more$$$'s
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    wellis said:
    Wasn't marine rated
    No way........ Marine rated that goes into the bilge/engine compartment is to prevent a spark that can cause explosion or fire. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    wellis said:
    Wasn't marine rated
    No way........ Marine rated that goes into the bilge/engine compartment is to prevent a spark that can cause explosion or fire. 
    I'm not wanting to get into a pissing contest with you raybo3 as I will respect your opinion just as I ask you to respect mine.

To clarify:1st. my water pump is exactly the same as original. 2nd. it's not in the engine compartment where some items do require to be of marine grade. But as we all have to realize not every item that goes on a boat has to be purchased from a marine source and pay the additional $$$.

EOC.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited July 2017
    wellis said: For the most part Marine rated is just a label to charge more$$$'s
    Well, okay, you are exaggerating to make a point about cost.  There definitely are differences in marine products, but they aren't always obvious.  

Example: when printed circuit boards are built for marine use, they add a conformal coating to prevent damage from vibration and moisture.  Looks the same, costs more, lasts longer.  

If you bought the exact same pump for less money, well played! 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited July 2017
    wellis said:
    raybo3 said:
    wellis said:
    Wasn't marine rated
    I'm not wanting to get into a pissing contest with you raybo3 as I will respect your opinion just as I ask you to respect mine.

To clarify:1st. my water pump is exactly the same as original. 2nd. it's not in the engine compartment where some items do require to be of marine grade. But as we all have to realize not every item that goes on a boat has to be purchased from a marine source and pay the additional $$$.

EOC.
    I am also not looking to get into a pissing contest but if you reread my post I say "that goes into the bilge/engine compartment". If yours is not in the engine compartment then good for you however mine is and I will stick with marine rated if I ever have to replace it............ Just say'n..... Its all good bro......
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

I think we are all saying and agreeing on the same thing. 

Wellis, please post a link to the find.  My pump is not in the engine room, so this is something I'd consider if I needed it.  So, when your pump went, did you check the impeller?  Sometimes only that needs replaced.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:

So, when your pump went, did you check the impeller?  Sometimes only that needs replaced.

yes, Pump was junk! 

Lowest price I found on "Marine rated": http://www.boatersplus.com/cal-pump-ms320-6.html?gclid=CMbe_OGikdUCFVu1wAodUgcG3Q 

Same pump >NON< "Marine rating": https://webbsonline.com/Item/Calpump-Bronze-Stainless-Steel-Pumps-35803 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    wellis said: For the most part Marine rated is just a label to charge more$$$'s
    Well, okay, you are exaggerating to make a point about cost.  There definitely are differences in marine products, but they aren't always obvious.  

Example: when printed circuit boards are built for marine use, they add a conformal coating to prevent damage from vibration and moisture.  Looks the same, costs more, lasts longer.  

If you bought the exact same pump for less money, well played! 
    wellis said:
    Wasn't marine rated
    "For the most part"