Options

WHAT HAPPENED TO BOATERS HELIPING BOATERS?

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
Was coming up the Connecticut river in Haddam Sunday when I saw a woman with young children on a 16ft bowrider trying to paddle across and up river against the current and going backwards. Keep in mind this was on a sunny Sunday afternoon across from a popular publc launch. There were a number of boats at the dock, several boats circling waiting to dock, a half a dozen personal watercraft and a few bass boats fishing nearby, and no one went to help this woman. I was able to tow the woman to the dock, and said loud enough for everyone at or near the dock to hear "I can't believe with all thease boats here, no one would help this poor woman". Very dissapointed in some felow boaters. The only guy to help her was the guy in the Rinker. Just sayin!!

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guys on the CT river are really poor examples of boaters.. almost as  bad as lake boaters!

My only excuse for the reason they do it is because they don't think it's very life threatening or they think people aren't screwed on a river like they would be out in the middle of the sound or ocean.

I was just at a place for a wedding on the CT river on Saturday (and it apparently caught fire on Sunday)  - we were watching lots of careless boating going on from the venue! 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    The guys on the CT river are really poor examples of boaters.. almost as  bad as lake boaters!
    I hope you mean those puddles that people put pontoon boats and not those of us on the Great Lakes......

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    J3ff, I was going down river by ST Clemens Castle Marina Sunday when I saw a Fire, lots of black smoke, but it was not a boat as far as I could see. On the bay back I saw a Wrecker winching out the fire truck that was down by the river to pump water and got stuck.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I think part of it is most are trailer boaters on the river and don't really know how to boat and the courtesies that go along with it.  And half are probably scared to even attempt a rescue seeing they are typically less experienced boaters.
    With that said i know lots of people on the CT river from when i used to slip there who are in marinas that are really good knowledgable people that would certainly help in most circumstances.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same thing goes on in Pittsburgh on our three rivers. I have said that there are boaters and people that own boats. The boaters all look out for one another and would give someone a tow when needed. The people that own boats don't give two s#!ts about anyone else but themselves. It's all about them and no one else. Kudos to you @jhofmann for helping out. You are a good fellow boater.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I will say with great pride that my dear departed father (x-naval officer) and I (as a child) never went by anyone that ever even appeared to be in distress without asking if they needed help. We towed many a boat with our little Steury T515C runabout to safety. Sadly, I see alot of what others mention here of people failing to render aid. Kudos and thanks to you, Jhofmann...that could have been any of our family members that needed your help!  -Paul
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion it reallt depends on the situation. I'm not a tow boat operator, and I dont have insurance or training for that. I'll certainly stop and ask if someone looks to be in trouble, but beyond that I would tend to say no to towing someone, unless it was VERY simple, and VERY needed.

Its $72 for BoatUS here in the Great lakes for unlimited breakdown assistance and towing. If you can afford gas and beer for the day, you can afford towing coverage. Maybe thats a bit cold, but I think too many people just wing it without preparing.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

This is a very touchy subject for me.  I too, like Joe would always stop and ask if help is needed.  Towing a boat really requires some expertise and can do more damage to both boats.  Yes, I've towed boats before.  My very first time out, I got towed back.  My second time out, I towed someone else in.  I have not done it since.  Again, I would always stop and make sure everyone is ok and will stay ok (ie, anchor is down and a towboat coming).

A few year's ago when I had a vapor explosion on my boat, my family immediately jumped into the water.  I'll never forget the boats that went by.  One was closer to my family in the water than to my boat, but kept going!!!  I'll also never forget the boat that stopped and picked up my family (& then couldn't get his boat started, had to get a tow in).  It is a fishing boat named "My Girl".  I see the boat every weekend.  I just told my wife last week, I think on the anniversary of that terrible experience, I was going to drop a gift off on their boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never passed a boat I cindered in distress, and pulled in 100 at least. And Joe I would pull you all the way across that lake you boat on. And help you get it on the trailer. In the rural area where I boat there is no assistance of any kind. So it's boaters helping boaters. And yes we have a lot of boat owners, as Greg calls them.
    Mr Hoffman did what any good boater should do, good job. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure how it is in other places around here, but there are no towing services on the water here in Pittsburgh. If one doesn't stop to help out, then the broke down boater is more or less stuck on the water. If there was a service such as TowBoatUS, then it would be a different story.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I guess that does kind of make a difference. Here on Lake St Clair there is TowboatUS, Sheriff's, Coast Guard, DNR, and local city's with patrol boats. And thats for about 200 square miles, of which maybe 50 is where everyone boats.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Bravo Zulu, @jhofmann

Spoken like a Coastie.  :)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get it.  Honestly i never even though that it was optional to not stop and help. Guess some people just need a little training....with a 2x4.....to the back of the head.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Here in upstate New York on the Mohawk there is no BoatUS service as such but some marinas do offer a tow in - and BoatUS will cover the cost and reimburse to the covered value if you sumbit a receipt. We blew a drive on the upper Hudson a few years ago (prior boat) and calling BoatUS was going to have a tug come out from Troy ( although that service wasn't real keen pulling my little 26 footer in case he dragged the bow out I think.) So our marina came and helped limp to the nearest ramp and then trailer back.

I'll always help someone out if needed but with the right precautions and safety in mind.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    I think there are a lot of poor stereotypes, from uppity people who have a over inflated sense of self worth, in here. I trailer my boat. I go to those "puddles people put pontoon boats in," and I towed someone in 2 weeks ago, along with abiding all laws, and common courtesy rules. Sounds like some people are pretty high and mighty.......
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Your talking about people's lives possibly at stake here. There is no reason that someone can't stop if they see a boater in trouble. If you seen a bad accident on the side of the road and there was no help would you keep going or stop and call 911 and do anything possible that you could to help? It's no different on the water and it should be illegal to drive by a boater in distress (if it's not illegal already). What if it was you? 

I thought it was federal law that you must help a boater in distress? And only do so if it will not put yourself in any danger.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017

Look at page 50 in this USCG booklet.

http://uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF

2008 330EC
  • Options
    I was not trying to start any arguments here. I am a trailer boater who boats in lakes, rivers, and Long Island sound. After serving in the U.S. Navy, and being a boater for over 25 years, I feel a sense of duty to aid other boaters in distress. This is not the first boat I towed in, nor will it be the last. I was just amazed that with all the other boats in the area no one came to help this woman, especially with young children on board.
  • Options
    Sounds like some people are pretty high and mighty.......
    I disagree whole heartedly with that. Again, I'm not a tow boat, and my equipment is not designed to tow a boat in bouncing seas for any distance. Would I render help to someone in need?? Of course. That doesn't always mean towing them, or jumping their battery, or pouring them gas. 

Would you lay on the side of the expressway at rush hour to help a drunk guy change a flat tire that was worn past the cords? Risk your life for someone else's stupidity when all they had to do is be a little smart and responsible?

I'd load my boat with people and pets until I didn't have a square inch left if their boat was sinking or it was in danger. But if you're floating along, in no peril to life or property, and you don't have tow coverage? Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

What happened to personal responsibility for your passengers and property??

I'll make that phone or vhf call to get help, provide you with some bottled water, and wait till help comes, but beyond that no thanks. 
  • Options
    I think there are a lot of poor stereotypes, from uppity people who have a over inflated sense of self worth, in here. I trailer my boat. I go to those "puddles people put pontoon boats in," and I towed someone in 2 weeks ago, along with abiding all laws, and common courtesy rules. Sounds like some people are pretty high and mighty.......
    My comment was in response to another in this thread about "almost as bad as lake boaters".  The puddles I refer to are the 1/2 mile across 5 feet deep places people take pontoon boats out on to drink and play music.  The Great Lakes are different than those lakes.  We have to depend on the other boaters in our community.  We operate our vessels on what could be considered inland seas.  And it's easy, and sadly too common, for people to find themselves in trouble quickly.

Basically I was trying to point out the difference between boat owners and boaters.  In my experience, those guys on the oversized ponds, who buy a boat, don't bother to take any kind of boater safety class, and operate it with the same mentality as driving a car, are not boaters.  Those of us who are on the bigger lakes "usually" understand the potential dangers, and are ready to help another boater in need because we've been there too.

Sorry if that came across as high and mighty.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

In my area, there are several towing companies within a 15 minute boat ride.  I've been towed a couple times unfortunately and the tow operator told me a horror story about someone that getting towed the line broke and snapped back onto the tow boat and injured a passenger.

I don't think anyone on this forum would ever pass up someone in distress or danger.  There are a lot of great people on here and in general, most boaters would help and do what's right.  I think that is what is important here.

As far as stereotypes, we all have them and it's a guarantee that at some point in your life you'll be proven wrong.  "The high & mighty", well, it brings up a story I will make real quick.  We have lots of fisherman on the Chesapeake (guys that do it for a living).  Some look at us with our fancy boats and think we are just uppity (& other things you can add).  There is a great cheap place across the bay that I like to get fuel when I go thru, where lots of these fisherman hang out.  One day I pulled in and they saw me coming, removed the only fuel dispenser and started passing it around to fill up fuel jugs.....nice and slow...and laughing and then yelling for "anyone else" that needs it to fill up?  I ignored all the jokes at my expense and just started chatting with a few of them and offered them a beer while I wait.  Told them how I appreciate the hard work they do each day.  They also got the hint that I too came from a blue collar family in Ohio.  At the end they actually apologized.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    As I write this, I just got home from towing a boater who ran out of fuel.  I guess some people have the ability to ignore a boater in distress, but apparently I don't.  

BTW, I think the laws about rendering assistance apply only to preventing injury to people.  There is no obligation to save the boat, avoid costs or prevent inconvenience.