Rinker 342 How to run aux cable from stereo to helm

I'm installing a new cd receiver in the boat.  I would like to run an aux cable to the helm.  Has anyone attempted this before?  The cd received has Bluetooth but I don't think the signal will be strong enough.
Tagged:

Comments

• sneaky1967sneaky1967 Member Posts: 6
    I bought this"Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack" from Amazon.  Works great with my phone on the back seat.  I would try the built in Bluetooth first.  It might be all you need.
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    There has to be a better way, but the easy way is to pull sub out and fish from there forward.  You will be able to access the shelf where the curtains are and small oval windows.   From there i was able to get into the box where the stereo is through a opening in rear vinyl.    After you are done there take dash out and pull your 3.5 up from the sub location to where ever you plan to put the connector in the dash.  Make sure you get a water proof cap or you will have corrosion issues on the connector.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

edited June 2017
    Also, I would use USB if it was available on your head unit. You get power and audio.   Just my .02

Post edited by Wildboating on

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Wild. I just ran a coax from the TV on my 342 back to the radar arch. It is way easier than I thought. Pull the sub and you can fish it over the closet. If you put a light in the upper shelf down below you should be able to see the path from behind the sub, in to the upper shelf and then I ran the wire at the top of the shelf so that it was hidden. Then down in to the TV/Stereo box. There is an opening from the shelf in to the TV box. Not a big deal. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I ran a remote control cable from the stereo (above the original TV location), along the shelf just below the port lights, through the opening behind the hanging closet. I had to remove the sub-woofer at the helm to reach the wire after it went through the opening, then pushed it up to the helm.  Removing the cup holders in the helm helps with accessing wires etc. up there.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    My bluetooth on my Kenwood head unit, works great when I'm 25 feet from the back of the boat on shore.  Give it a try before ripping apart your interior for no reason  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • dtwilson110dtwilson110 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Great I just bought a Kenwood receiver so hopefully it will do the trick!
    Lake_Bum said:
    My bluetooth on my Kenwood head unit, works great when I'm 25 feet from the back of the boat on shore.  Give it a try before ripping apart your interior for no reason  B)
    There was no ripping, just awkward wire routing.  :)

• caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
    I pulled the sub out and have been fishing around for an hour trying to figure out how to get to that shelf with the curtains but can't do it. Any suggestions?
    edited May 2018
    Go down to the cabin, kneel on the dinette and look aft in the area where the curtains are to spot the opening.  Then get a fish tape, wire, stick or something and poke it through.  Then go back to the hole for the sub and look for that.

edited May 2018
    Caik01. Put a flash light on the shelf pointing towards the helm.  Go back to sub hole and Aim for the light. 

• caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
    Ive tried that. I can see a little light through fiberglass but that's it looking from the shelf. When I look in the sub hole there is a solid white board with a hole in the middle where some cords are going but a real tight fit. 
    They may have changed how big that opening is.  You could try a wire or fish tape from the sub to the cabin.

To the right of mine was solid vinyl that had a slice in it.  That’s where I passed through. 

• 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    This. I can beach my boat and get 25-30 yards away before it loses signal.