Options

1988 250 Fiesta Vee 250 5.7 Alpha 1

Hello All, 

It's been awhile. I've been busy learning about marine mechanics, bellows, starters, electrical, windows, storgae, ect ect. For now, the old girl is doing ok. 

I'm finding that my prop 15.25 x 15 allows the boat to run well above recommended RPMs if I were to push it. I was thinking I could move to a 15.25 x 17 (which I can't find) to lower my RPMs or allow high speed at 3700 RPM or so. 

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I may best prop the old girl for cruising? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

David H - Milwaukee
1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250
1982 Ski Nautique 2001

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    When I had the similar model with the Alpha a prop shop guy recommended, and I tried a 16 X 16 Merc prop which he was calling elephant ear.  More surface area on the blades seemed to improve economical cruising and it still could pull a skier out of the water pretty well.  Some boat mechanics have a lot of used ones around and you may be able to try before you buy.  The mercruiser website has a decent prop selection tool as well.
  • Options
    Gr8earsGr8ears Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I have the same exact boat.  It had  a 3 blade 19P, and fully loaded for a weekend camping trip, it was a struggle to get on plane. Put a 17P on, not a lot better.  Last year, I went to the dealer and tried several different demo props.  the 4 blade stainless 16P worked well, but didn't want to spend that much $.  I ended up buying a  Hustler brand prop on Amazon for under $100.  Four blade aluminum 17P.  Amazing difference.  Loaded to plane is just a few seconds,  cruises @ 3400 RPM 26 to 28 MPH. And the engine sounds like it isn't having to work as hard. It will hold plane down to 14 MPH.  I had to notch the trim tab.