For Any Cruisers contemplating switching over to Hill Marine 4 Blade props....

jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
So I still come on here and enjoy reading all the info and giving input to other fellow Rinker owners although I sold mine about a year and a half ago. You guys really have a great forum and superior to alot of other ones. Alot more activity also. 

I now own a 2004 Chapparal 330 Signature with twin 350 mag mpi horizons and twin B3 drives. Love my Rinker but really love this boat.  The configuration is the only one of its kind. Take a look at some photos when you get a chance.

Anyways when I bought it I had trouble planing and seemed to just cavitate until it got up on plane and then was ok but seemed like it was lugging the motors only reaching about 4200 rpms. I did a lot of research and contacted the previous owner as well as Chapparal and had motors scanned and discovered the boat was intended to come with 24 pitch props not the 26 props that were on there and this mistake was made from day 1 by the dealer that sold the boat and never realized.

Long story short I did the math and determined indeed the boat needed atleast 24 pitch props to get rpms up and help with holeshot.  So I went to the best, Hill Marine and discussed with them and purchased a set of Hill Marine Signature 4 Blade 24 pitch props.  Ill let you read on for the results. You can read the hole thread or just skip to the end of the Summary. Worth reading. Like a new boat. Thought I would share it with you guys for anyone considering swapping props on a cruiser. Enjoy!

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/35679-2004-chaparral-330-signature-cavitation/&page=2#comment-393105

Comments

• laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I can't say enough the Hill Marine props are well worth the cost. It's like driving a new boat.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I've always heard 4 blades lift the rear more, which helps get on plane and stay on plane, looks like that'll be my next big thing, just have to figure out if it's better to go 4 and 3 or 4 and 4 and 24p or 22p. Heck I might just do it asap before going on this long trip if it would really make a difference. 

Lauren, what did you get again? and you have a bravo 3 right?

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ jmichels  thanks for info and comparison. When i changed mine to 4x3 last year I felt the same way, now this 2003 boat has finally has correct props! I'm the 4th owner.
    Boat Name : 

so what would you guys do with a 2004 270 with a 383 ?  Currently running 22p 3 blades. What I would like is the rear to be a little higher, faster hole shot AND a higher top end (currently at 38/39mph).. 

Will go do some testing tomorrow with VV running. 
  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    J3ff said:
    so what would you guys do with a 2004 270 with a 383 ?  Currently running 22p 3 blades. What I would like is the rear to be a little higher, faster hole shot AND a higher top end (currently at 38/39mph).. 

Jeff my old 2003 Rinker 270 FV with 350 mag had a 4 blade front and 3 blade rear. planed very nicely and almost never cavitated even in corners. Maybe thats the way. 4 x 4 is definately the ultimate though. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I also have Hill Marine's 4 blade "big cow" for my Bravo-2 drives.  Just got them a few weeks ago and they are a huge improvement, especially hole shot as you mentioned.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2005 270 MPI. I ordered the 4x4 20pitch props from Hill Marine. Just give them a call and tell them what model and engine you are running. They will point you in the correct direction. Ask for Joe he is an older gentleman.
    edited June 2017
    So I talked to the father of the operation, I believe Joe, he suggested 4x4 20p... I just did a run with vessel view, we have a strong wind, lots of waves but here's some data points..

Couldn't do a WOT - but boattest.com had their 383 up to 5200 RPM's not sure i've ever seen mine up that high!! (However I should note that I have seen the tachometer on the boat that high, but it's not accurate in the least.)
    Joe is also who I talked with . Chad is the owner. Joe is pretty good though. Tell em Josh sent you and he should hook you up. 

Stats look pretty good. Keep in mind tide direction plays into effect too. I was able to do 41+- yesterday with 24p running with the tide yesterday. Running against I ran about 38 mph. 

If your boat is getting up to 4800 already with props on the boat I would simply keep the same pitch and just go to a 4 blade.  What is your WOT and speed on a normal day Jeff?
    edited June 2017
    J3ff said:

need to know your WOT to figure it out.  Frankly you wont gain top end and low end unless you are severly over propped like I was. With your numbers knowing my old Rinker 270FV which was same boat you are really close to optimal already. That being said I would probably just go to a 4 blade 22 or 4 blade 20 pitch. 

If you went better low end and mid range your top end speed willl usually suffer 1-3 mph or so. 

Keep in mind with Hill Marine you can always exchange the props and just pay shipping cost as long as they are returned in same condition and within reasonable time. 

This is WOT with some pretty big gusts and 1-3 ft waves.. 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if I had the 383 I would do 4x4 22 pitch.the extra HP you should still have the hole shot.and cruise at 3700 28mph
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I bet that was a rough WOT, just to keep you informed, I'm running 38 mph 4x3 21p 270, 300 mpi 
    Boat Name : 

edited June 2017
    Yeah, was fighting wind, waves and tide. I have seen 37/38 at WOT before but this was what it was today.... what I would really like is a stronger mid range with more control over fine adjustments and if possible having the stern of the boat higher up.. at this point my warranty ends in Sept, so I want to get this stuff all figured out while the motor is still under warranty. 

As I've said before, I'm not so sure I'm impressed with the 383.  Would have to find a similarly loaded boat with a 350 to see what the difference is.  I have heard that the 350 seems to have more power down lower..but it was just someone talking. 
    you will be impressed if you get new props.
    Boat Name : 

J3ff said:
    Yeah, was fighting wind, waves and tide. I have seen 37/38 at WOT before but this was what it was today.... what I would really like is a stronger mid range with more control over fine adjustments and if possible having the stern of the boat higher up.. at this point my warranty ends in Sept, so I want to get this stuff all figured out while the motor is still under warranty. 

As I've said before, I'm not so sure I'm impressed with the 383.  Would have to find a similarly loaded boat with a 350 to see what the difference is.  I have heard that the 350 seems to have more power down lower..but it was just someone talking. 
    The whole idea behind the 383 versus the 350 is the added low end torque it has over the 350 mag due to a different cam and most importantly because if the longer stroke. A 383 mag is a "stroked" 350.  So a 383 will bring in the torque way faster at lower rpms and higher amounts then a 350. You definately will have a advantage on the bottom end torque over a 350 and the extra 50 hp is nothing to sneeze at. 

Props will definately help your mid range quite a bit and hole shot. You may just loose little bit on very top end. Frankly worth the trade off since most people spend most of their time cruising anyways. Go for it. You wont be disappointed. 
    If top was 35, that'd be fine with me.  Unfort. Hill marine is off till Wed, so don't think I'll have a set of 4 blades for the trip but oh well. 
    ya still worth the change. Its a long term investment.
    jmichels said:
    ya still worth the change. Its a long term investment.
    Looks like they shipped yesterday! 
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but same happened to me and I got all excited that they shipped but they didn't until several days later. 

When you place an order with Hill Marine they create the label and invoice right away but dont call for ups pickup till props are ready. Once they actually hit the road its 5 working days from then that you will receive em. 

Itll be worth the wait. Had another long weekend on my boat this past 4rth and loved the new 24 pitch 4 blade. Cruised so nice and kept me on plane at low speed. 

If For some reason they are back logged for the 22 pitch for you. I do have a brand new set sitting here 22 pitch 4 blade from them that I tried once ......
    well, the guy told me to get the 20 pitch, if that doesn't work I may be in the market to send back the 20 for a refund and buy your 22s... all I know is I'm leaving on Wed morning and the **** props aren't going to be here till 630pm on Tuesday. This is not how I like to conduct business! (swapping props the morning of a long trip!)
    Pulled my son skiing again this weekend many miles, the look on people's faces when they see us carrying ski's to the boat, and skiing behind 270. no way it would happen with 3x3 props. 
    Boat Name : 

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They generally say to stay with the same pitch when going to the 4x4?  My rpm's are correct with 22P std 3x3 Bravo 3 props. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    On my B-2 drives, I went from 23p to 22p.  The diameter is also 3/4" larger for me, so it equaled out.  Loving my new marine hill bug cow props!  Best one out there for B-2 drives!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait to see what they will do in my case. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    On my B-2 drives, I went from 23p to 22p.  The diameter is also 3/4" larger for me, so it equaled out.  Loving my new marine hill bug cow props!  Best one out there for B-2 drives!!
    Never heard of "bug cow props" RLMAO
    They told me that since you're adding two more blades to the equation, dropping 2 a pitch is recommended. We'll see! 
    I think you will be impressed. In my honest opinion though I think the 20 pitch might be just alittle too steep. But well see. I hope not for you. 

Be sure to torque em 60/100 if you are doing them your self and dont forget to be sure the thrust washers are in place before tightening em down. I ordered new ones at the same time as the props because I wasn't sure old ones would come out easily.
    sent you a pm..