Options

How do you switch from shore to generator power?

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
I make sure to run my generator every weekend, even at the dock. Sometimes to keep the ice maker running I'll start the genny when I start the engines and run the boat with the genny on. When running the genny at the dock, I used to fire it up and warm it for 5 min. Then shut everything on shore power off, switch the panel from shore to generator, then turn all of the AC components back on. I read on here that I dont need to do that, I can just simply move the switches from shore to genny and the transfer is done. I've done this a couple of times. 

So - Is it better to shut all shore down and then switch to genny, or is the in line switch over with everything on ok? Thanks
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I basically do what you outlined. I don't like to just presto turn on the AC loads with the main breaker 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of just flipping the inputs.  I prefer to turn all the beakers off, then start the genny, flip the main breaker, then the individual breakers.  I reverse the process when shutting down.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks guys. I am going to go back to the "switch off, switch to genny, then switch everything back on one by one" method. I only did the big "flip" in line twice and had no issues. I read another post where MT says not to do the big in line "flip" and to do it as you do and it got me thinking so I wanted to see what the consensus was. Thanks! 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    My process is:
    • Warm up the genny
    • Turn off the two shore power breakers
    • Wait a second or two
    • Turn on the two genny breakers

Some of my individual circuit breakers never get turned on unless I'm actually using them (e.g., the range).  If I turn off all 12 breakers, I'd have to go find a pair of reading glasses so I could turn on the right breakers.  That would consume valuable seconds of boating time!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I agree one at a time,and I wait for the A/C to cycle with the compressor then flip the rest slowly.The genny will tell if it's happy.To much load at once and she struggles for a second.

This was my frist week end with a genny.Put in a carb from asap as suggested from @craigswardmtb. And it ran great,But I have used gen. For years.can I say the admiral was very happy.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Reneechris, did you do an entire carb assembly from asap? I've been thinining about doing that as preventative maintenance soon. Simple swap? No adjustments?

• Options
    Yes simple(nothing is ) swap. No adjustment she just fired right up and I have not touched it.oh I did have to back the chock back to the right spot.get the 2 gaskets..90 and 1.20 I think.air cleaner is the hardest to put back on,the 3 bolts and cover at the same time.
  • Options
    So the choke needs to come apart to do the carb? I just got the choke adjustment dialed in so I don't think I want to touch it without good reason. Thanks 

• Options
    No just the linkage,I only had to move mine because I mess with it.
  • Options
    Great 

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I unplug from shore power, never turn anything off.  Switch to generator and start up.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Are you guys worried about putting a sudden load on the generator engine?

When I flip the switch, the genny RPM might dip for a second - no more.  Worst-case scenario, even if everything comes on at once -- battery charger at full blast, water heater, ice maker, water pump, toilet vacuum pump -- the genny handles it easily.

The effect on RPM is no different from when the AC compressor kicks on.  
  • Options
    Don't ask to much and you won't be disappointed is my theory on life.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I think all kohler gennys have their own personality. If I switch everything on at once mine gets mad at me and struggles, indicated by its surging. If your choke is adjusted and working perfectly than perhaps this isn't an issue for you. For now I do one breaker at a time and it works great. If I have the a.c., water heater, ice maker, and then turn on the microwave she will be unhappy and surge again. 
  • Options
    On the couple of times I just flipped the switch with the ac and everything on the genny did the same quick little surge sound that it does when the ac cycles on. No struggle. Like I said I never even thought about this until I read a thread here where mt says not to flip the switch.