Options

Cruiser Tipping Etiquette

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
My intention is not to start a debate on who does or doesn't tip, or how much. It's a personal preference. I'm more interested in learning who, or in what situations do you usually tip?
I will say that generally I am a decent, sometimes over indulgent, tipper. Family was in the hospitality business for many years so I've seen it first hand. I'm just not sure who or what to tip now. I don't want to be seen as cheap, but I don't want to "rock the boat" so to speak and be tipping out of turn and make others look bad.
This is our first season with a cruiser style boat, second year in a marina. Our boat last year was an outboard runabout that required zero support from the marina other than a parking spot.
Whenever I fuel up at a gas dock I usually tip $5 for a fill up, sometimes $10 if the bill is larger and the help with landing, disembarking etc. is really good. No fuel at our marina, so all fill ups are off site.
I have had one pump out this year. Our pump outs are included in our slip fees and the pump out is done by the part owner/son of the Mother/Son duo that own and run the marina. In that situation I didn't tip, but thought afterwards that perhaps I should have. It's a small, family run operation, certainly not a "yacht club", no on site food/beverage/pool etc. There are indoor toilets and showers. They do keep a good eye on the place, and once zipped up some canvas I had forgotten about before a big rain. I was thinking maybe a small gift at the end of the season?
What about mechanics or service techs? Does anyone ever slip the mechanic a few bucks on the side for service over and above? As an example, the tech at our marina has offered some friendly, free, advice on a few occasions, but with the understanding I suppose that at some point I will be spending some $$ with him. He'll be doing my seasonal/summer/winter changeover work and likely a drive re-build in the off season.
Two techs came down yesterday to (hopefully) have finally fixed the drive oil reservoir leak I've been experiencing since buying the boat. It was on the dealer's dime, not mine. But as they put me back in the water and helped me launch for the trip back to my marina, I got thinking "should I have at least bought them a coffee" or gave them a few bucks?
Is there any other situation where a tip might be in order?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I tip dock hands when visiting a marina when they come help me tie up.  I also tip the gas dock attendants who help me tie up and fuel and pump-out.

I know folks who do rack storage and they tip the guy who drives the forklift.

I don't tip my mechanic.  But he's worked on my boats for 10 years and we take care of each other.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I tip the fuel dock personal even though I pump my own gas and waste tank...but they do help me tie up and get things prepped.  It shows when I return and they know me and are more willing to help.  The only other time I've had someone come to the boat is when I needed a locksmith and $145 for 30 seconds work to open my lock didn't need a tip...LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea I only tip dock hands that help me tie up when I am a transient: $2 - $5 depending on what I have on me and I tip at the fuel dock. At the fuel dock its usually $2 - $3 for just a pump out, for pump out & fuel maybe $5 or $6. We have to pump our own fuel so they just hand us the line and we hold the handle. I've only tipped a mechanic once, we were about to leave for a week long trip on my in laws boat and a belt blew when we fired up the boat to leave. Mechanic came and replaced within 2 hours so we could go on our trip so I gave him a $20 plus of course he billed for the time and belt. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I tip $10 if they do the pump out.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple 2, 3 for fuel,5 for po
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $3 to $5 for fuel,
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    $5 for gas and pump out
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    miggymiggy Member Posts: 17
    Nothing wrong with giving a tip, it even makes the personnel more friendly and helpful.
  • Options
    Thanks folks. Seems to be pretty consistent. Next pump out I'll take care of it, even if it is the owner. I'd buy him a beer, but he doesn't drink...
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    @miggy===i agree nothing wrong with giving a tip....= friendly.. faster.. easier..
    when i do need something....also nothing wrong with being nice,,,have a smile..and ask how they are doing.....heck i even hand out cold water bottles............everybody work n for a living
    my 1st job was at the fuel dock.............most big boat guys were **** ! .... 
  • Options
    Just fuelled up yesterday. Waited all morning for a break in the weather, heavy showers all morning. The skies brightened and the rain stopped so I made a break for the fuel dock across the bay. Of course, just as I get tied up and the attendant starts fueling, the skies opened up and it rained buckets. Tank was below 1/4 so it took a while to fill. We were both absolutely soaked. Could tell the fellow was not impressed. Would have usually tipped a five or ten but felt so bad I gave him the $15 I happened to have in my wallet. It totally made his day. We chatted for a few minutes and he related how a few days before he pumped $800 into a 50 foot Carver.... the guy gave him a buck......
    The way I looked at it, the bill was $350. A restaurant bill that size would have seen a much larger tip....he laughed when I told him that and he said maybe he needed to become a restaurant server and I ended with" but you'd look funny in high heels and a mini skirt." :D
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 20
    My rule of thumb is if I'm going to tip, what's an extra buck or five. If it will make that persons day then it's worth it. 
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    At my marina, I tip $3-5 for gas, we pump our own, for pump-out, $10. For  transient docks, $5-10, depends on how tight the docking is. Was talking with a dock hand at PIB, they said that its more important to them to follow there instructions. She said that they remember more on how people listen to them. Anyone that has been there on a busy week knows how tight it gets. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll usually tip $5 for pump out. On fuel, depends how much I take, generally $10 or so.  Not a high paying job and they remember you!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI