Options

61' Hatteras anyone?

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Generator Discussions
http://www.gilmanyachts.com/yachts/61-1981-HATTERAS/238171

$50k would take this boat in a heartbeat... $30k is a strong possibility.... $15k might take it.  

they just planted $3k of batteries on board hoping shoppers hearing it run would increase it's likelihood of sale, but apparently it didn't help much... it runs fine, though, with big twin detroits.  

it would need updating.  windows/hatches need to be sealed.  

if i had a reasonable place to dock it i'd grab it up- refit it, and airBnB the crap out of it... 

so here's to community of this board... I ain't mentioning this anywhere else because it should be held close, but it needs to go and it's been on the market a while- i'll give you contact info via private message if anyone is interested. 
Post edited by 212rowboat on

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,539 mod
    (This is gonna be a fun discussion!)  I imagine the engines will be the biggest factor for the buyer.  How many hours since the last rebuild?  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't somebody on the board just asking about a live aboard boat?  This would be perfect.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be me, 199000 is a bit out of my range :(
  • Options
  • Options
    twin detroit 12v71ta's, 2010 port hours, 2272 starboard. 
  • Options
    Well if it's fifteen then they've found a buyer
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    J3ff said:
    That would be me, 199000 is a bit out of my range :(

@J3ff don't let this one go! Read 212rowboat's original post again!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    it's a freakin' hatteras... 61' worth of hatteras... if i were searching for something like that, the search would have just ended.  

send my wife an offer.... she'll respond... 
  • Options
    On mobile, let me get to a computer...sent you apm
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    Keep us posted. This is getting interesting............Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    email sent. My timeline was to purchase 12 months from now..so not sure how likely I am to bite, but if it gets down low enough it may be irresistible. 
  • Options
    i can't afford to own it- docking fees would bury me... otherwise, i'd buy it (if i could- i can't be buying things she's affiliated with legally).... 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,458 admin
    I dont think that boat will last 12 months for $15K. Someone will buy and flip it and make a killing................ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    it'll NEVER be advertised that low.  i may get the riot act for mentioning it here.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    That thing would be $9579.13 to dock at my harbor for 5 or 6 months.  LOL
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    It's a 1981 boat, lots of risk in buying something that old... I just got out of a 1995 boat!! 
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I'd bet on spending at least $100k to get this boat into reasonable shape for cruising.

The engines are due for an overhaul (according to Pascoe, http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatreviews/hatteras_61_motor_yacht.htm), which will set you back $40k.  I'd plan on replacing at least five of the seven air conditioners, so there's another $15k.  Figure $30k for new electronics plus various repairs and upholstery, assuming you don't find any major problems.  Oh, and don't forget taxes and broker fees.  

But ohhhh man, what a great liveaboard!  I wish the listing had better photos.
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Oh yeah - if you want it to go faster than 5 mph, add $15k for bottom paint, and pray there are no blisters.  Also add $20k for canvas and upholstery on the flybridge.  

If you did all of that work, you'd be in it for $150k, and you'd have a $200k boat.  Crap, maybe I should buy it.
  • Options
    the air conditioners i almost bet the value are good... "atlantic air" is the boats name, and for "atlantic air hvac llc" which is what the guy did for a living. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff that's a great live aboard for 50k,you'll make to the Cape on that but you'll need a couple bucks for fuel.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    yeah, 1100 gallon fuel tank? Holy cow, I'd fill it once in years... 
  • Options
    You wouldn't be going far.  The range on a full tank is 320 miles at 18 knots.  With 20 years of barnacles, it's probably 320 miles at 6 knots.  
  • Options
    As I look back at my comments -- call me Captain Buzzkill!  Actually, this could be a fantastic opportunity for somebody who is willing to grab the golden ring.  Get in the door for a reasonable price, and build it into the boat of your dreams.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    lol :)@LaRea.....its an interesting thread and any one of us would be dying to see someone pick it up cheap and send us pics of the transformation.
  • Options
    Everybody reading this thread is secretly thinking "that could be me!"  

But as far as flipping it and making a killing -- I mean, it's a boat.  If you want to retire with a 61-foot boat and a million dollars, you'd better start with two million dollars.  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll have to get a girlfriend to help keep it clean. Slip fee's $5000 a year up there? insurance $2500 a year? Is it really worth 200 K, Hum, What a flip. keep a couple years get it up to date make 100k. Great live aboard, and a great experience it would be. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    i'm half of mind to buy this thing and crowd fund the clean-up- share the flip. 

the surveyor appraised it at $210k.  

it needs seals for hatches and some windows.  the engines may or may not need overhaul- don't forget those things are detroits, and can run out well over 5k hours within reason.  the kohler gen has 3500 hours i think it was.  

hatteras aren't a joke- the cabinets are going to be perfectly joined, and there isn't going to be a lot of mistakes on the skeleton of that thing...especially for that range of years.  it no doubt is going to need some love.  

here is something y'all don't know... it's in New Bern- which is brackish, mostly fresh.  it has been for a long time.  

even if $100k went into it, a buyer would still come out on top.  

i'd be surprised if a hatteras had any blistering.  they're a prideful bunch that make to order.    
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful wood work, love the engine room. Make it look like that rowboat, and you have a serious profit. May take a few months, workin weekends.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    sweet deal.............would help if they had quality pictures.
    i bet a good detail & minor tlc.....is all thats needed
    but.........on a 61 could be big boat bucks
    i gots money that it cant be bought for 15k
  • Options
    it's kinda a sad story.... the man lived on this thing for the last bit of his life.  his children are estranged.  his sister is his estates executor.  She is the one who has to agree to price.  From what i understand she just wants it gone.  $80k offer fell through because the guy couldn't come up with the cash, but the executor/sister agreed to it.  She was frustrated when it didn't go through- she was quoted as saying "I just want the ---- thing gone".  

so..... offer up.  you may be surprised.  and, I'm not here to sell it- i could care less what happens to it. my wife has suggested we buy it, but that offers its own issues legally, and- she has no clue what she's talking about.  for a retired guy living on the thing, and if it's in relatively good shape- it's a full time job just maintaining it.... then cost of docking.... then updating.... then annual things like chipping the bottom... hells no- i'd want it to enjoy, not be haunted by- if it didn't come with a full time crew it's not something i'm interested in.