Options

2006 captiva 192 prop

schmidt4schmidt4 Member Posts: 7
what prop are you using for water sports. going to install smart tabs but want to know what brand and pitch to use. i do not care about top speed.

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats on there now? SS or aluminum ? what pitch ? is it not preforming well?  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    We need to know details regarding the engine and drive as well. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    2006 rinker captiva, 4.3 liter volvo penta 190hp. had a ss 14x20 4 blade on it. i put the factory 14.25 19 pitch 4 blade back on. just wanting to know if i can stick with the ss pro after installing the smart tabs or should  i go with a 14x17 pitch 4 blade. towing wakeboarders.
  • Options
    its just not getting to plane fast enugh.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    The 14x20 4 blade stainless with smart tabs is the perfect setup for your boat.  I had an identical one several years ago.  It popped up on plane very easily.  The 17" will cause you to over rev. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I just put tabs and a 4 x 14 x20 on my 05 192 and it's a completely different boat than it was with a 3 x 14.25 x17.  Even with the tabs the 20p prop IMHO was way better than the 17
  • Options
    NRathNRath Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    mvn said:
     The 17" will cause you to over rev. 
    I'm not sure about that claim.  My 4.3GXi on a 192 with 4x17 doesn't appear to be over revving.  Admittedly, I've never hooked a 2nd tach up to it for reading confirmation, but I'm sitting at 4000 rpm topped out.  I've never hit the rev limiter which isn't referencing the in dash tach- I'm sure it's polling the the crank position sensor.

That said, I'm definitely curious how the performance of the 4x17 and 4x20 would compare.  I understand the differences mathematically, but I'm puzzled about how quickly the 2 compare in planing.  I'm thinking we should try to collectively get some data together on time to plane (figure out how to define that...) and time to a set speed, say 20 mph (via GPS).  Are any of the 192 owners game to try it?  There are other variables to consider but I'd say calm water is the target.
  • Options
    I put the smart tabs on it but have yet to take it out. I'm going to leave the factory aluminum 14.25 x 19  pitch 4 blade prop on it and try it first then i will put on the stainless 14 1/8 x20 4 blade on it to see if there is a difference. i do not want to spend money on a 14x17 4 blade if i do not have to. when installing the smart tabs I noticed that the hull was off by 1/2 inche from left to right. have you seen this ?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't remember noticing it being off, but it was a couple years ago.  Where did you find the delta?  I'll check mine...  I'm pretty OCD and took quite a few measurements and marked it out on tape.  My goal was to move the tabs as far out as possible, since we aren't able to put them on the outer edges of the stern as Nauticus recommends.

I can also say I did a much better job of drilling holes than the Rinker team did, assuming they installed the speedo pitot.  Of course, it took me about 2 hours hours to mount them as opposed to the probably 5 minutes it took them to mount the pitot.
  • Options
    if you start comparing side to side measurements from every point you can think of mine was 1/2 inch off from the left to the right. 
  • Options
    Took it out yesterday with new smart tabs and it seems better to plane and less porposing. Still not sure if putting a lower pitch prop on would help. Using the 14 1/4 19 aluminum 4 blade now. Any ideas?
  • Options
    brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I'm happy with my 14 x20 4 blade prop on my 05 192
  • Options
    SS prop or aluminum?
  • Options
    brianc613 said:
    I just put tabs and a 4 x 14 x20 on my 05 192 and it's a completely different boat than it was with a 3 x 14.25 x17.  Even with the tabs the 20p prop IMHO was way better than the 17
    What engine have you got?  Do you know what kind of revs your getting at wot?

Seems to me that your 2 changes sort of counter each other- though obviously working for you.  The tabs help the launch but going from 17 to 20 would hurt the launch. 
  • Options
    @Schmidt4 - I'm using an aluminum 4x17.  First 4x17 was a Solara, then "stumped" it so I bought another 4x17 from a different company that uses 2 different pedal designs on the same prop- more cup on 2 of them.  I was looking for better hold in cornering.  Didn't really see a significant difference between them.  Of course there were a couple weeks between trips, so it wasn't a great side by side comparison.

My boat came factory with an aluminum 3x19, yours was a 4x19?
  • Options
    schmidt4 said:
    if you start comparing side to side measurements from every point you can think of mine was 1/2 inch off from the left to the right. 
    Just yours, sorry!!

Only kidding- mine's the same way...  ~1/2" further to both chines on the starboard side