Options

5.0 mpi won't remain running

warrantyvoiderwarrantyvoider Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
We just recently returned from a two week, 40+ engine-hour vacation in our 2011 310EC.  The boat ran flawlessly on the trip.  Yesterday, the port engine wouldn't stay running.  It struggles to start, putters for about 1 second, and dies.  
My boat neighbor mentioned that he had similar issues in the past, and a replacement IAC valve solved his problem.  I tried one, and it didn't seem to help.
Anything else I should look into before raising the white flag and calling the repair guy?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You have ignition...sounds like it isn't getting fuel.  Check filters..fuel pump..maybe distributor cap for corrosion.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Yes,I would try fuel filter and see it that helps. If not check fuel pressure.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Update:  Replaced the fuel filter.  Engine still wouldn't start.  
    I then removed the new filter again, and discovered that it was bone-dry.  This seems to indicate that I have a fuel delivery issue, correct?  
    Could it be the fuel pump at this point?  I hear the pump doing "something" when i turn on the ignition, but could it still be faulty?  Is moving the starboard pump over to the port engine for testing purposes easy/recommended?

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Did the fuel valve get accidentally shut off?   Pump is after filter correct?  Filter should have fuel in it.   If boat is a 2011 it seems a bit early but if you are not getting fuel to the filter I would check the anti siphon valve. 
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Update: She's purring like a kitten......so far.  
    I didn't like how the filter wasn't filling with fuel, so I manually filled it from a gas can in an effort to prime it.   That seemed to do the trick.  It's been running for the better part of 30 minutes now.
    The real test will be whether it decides to start TOMORROW.
    I'm still a little concerned, since I don't KNOW what the original problem was.  Is it possible that a BADLY clogged fuel filter caused the fuel pump to run completely dry, and it simply needed to be primed after installing the new filter?