Options

first nite out on the hook

Well first note away from a dock let's hope all goes well lol probably won't sleep a wink

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I know, on the hook, you almost always sleep with one eye open and one ear tuned.  But it is a great way to use your boat.  We anchor out quite often.

We eventually changed our anchor from the plow that comes with the boat to a Manson Supreme.  What a difference.  With that anchor I sleep much better.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭

Now or Never, we hope you had a good time and good weather. This has been our first season anchoring out on our new boat, we have done it for a total of five nights now and love it. We have already learned many new things including using a anchor watch ap down loaded to our ipad. We use Anchor Watch, it has a pretty loud alarm and is very easy to use.

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I just downloaded the app, thanks for that. Looks very simple, can't wait to try it out.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    As Tony said good ground tackle (oversized Manson/Rocna for us too) is the answer to safely enjoying the inevitable day when the weather comes unglued. There is very little to be fearful of when you plan ahead and anchoring out has brought some of our most memorable times (in a good way). Nothing can be more awesome than the perfect sunrise/sunset in a peaceful cove.

We have stayed on anchor for many many years as former sailors but find that we're being slowly converted to marina life by swimming pools, electric, cable tv, docktail partys and shoreside restaurants.......omg what would my sailing friends think.. I've completely gone to the dark side ;)

Savor the moments and your sign-in says it all: Now or never. Life has some awesome opportunities and many different chapters when you're a boater. Enjoy, Mike

Our newest favorite anchorage isn't too isolated but we almost always have it all to ourselves at night:

And this one is a different chapter of boating but equally filled with great times and friends.

Here's an anchorage we liked a lot too. Interesting image too.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Now or neverNow or never Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thanks all I am sure it will be a blast tiki that is a beautiful place were is it
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

Like others have said, nothing better than waking up to the sunrise and the cove all to yourself!

Tiki, that last photo is interesting with the sailboat so close to shore.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Mike nice beautiful pic's....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another anchoring piece of mind. We wired our garmin touch screen GPS to an external horn (from a Mercruiser bilge set). We set the drift alarm at the number of feet we want and go to sleep. Most GPS units have a drift alarm setting that will activate even when they are in sleep mode. If you have one (garmins for sure) that sound the alarm by opening a ground to the horn you will need a relay that allows less than 100 milli volts return.  It's called a double pole double throw plug in relay. It can be purchased at Radio Shack p.n. 275-0206 for $10.00 Some wire to an acc switch at the helm, 20 minutes to install the warning horn and 2 minutes to program the Garmin and then (knock on wood) piece of mind. MT

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks guys the aerial shot was taken from a kite supported camera flown from the cockpit and triggered w some left over rc plane gear I had layin around. It is in a shallow spot in a defunct pass formerly known as midnight pass in s sarasota. The stern backs up to the gulf which is just over a dune.

Our trailerable 26' Hunter sailboat had a swing keel and kick up rudder so we could sneak into anyplace a powerboat could go. Finding the right anchorage for a peaceful night is a combination of local knowledge, research on google earth, calculating the weather, and knowing your boat n crews needs. Have a great time on the hook. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Well it event really well had a shot of rain sat then it got a little hot in the cabin think I will get a portable gen it was break stuffy in there. But overall we will do it again for sure
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    TikiHut2 said:
     the aerial shot was taken from a kite supported camera flown from the cockpit
    I thought I spotted a string coming up towards the camera! very creative....
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    My second season owning a boat, last year the wife and I made our only attempt and sleeping on the boat, we had our two dogs one of which was 7 months old. Everything was fine until the young pup peed in our bed while we were sleeping. Up came the anchor for a moonlight ride home. Have not tried since
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    That's a hoot lol that would put a damper on things
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ...Honey, is there a leak ON the bed??? ;) Dogs overnight are a challenge all their own.

I guess you have to be a bit of an adventurer/minimalist to use a smaller (relative term) boat on the hook which is probably why we all get three-foot-itis.....as if a bigger boat is the answer to our comfort. It usually isn't although this 270 for two crew members has more perks than anything we've ever had....and I gotta say it'd be hard to go back.

Keeping cool at night is a challenge that a genset and a/c can fix if (#1)you are super safe (a topic of its own) and (#2) don't mind it grinding away all night. Before it gets too complicated try a few things that those who regularly anchor out have learned when dealing with a warm night.

Other little anchoring tricks are to: 
    • find efficient fans(be aware of the amperage for battery use overnight) that move some air.  
    • using a wind catcher to direct air into the cabin, 
    • anchoring stern-to with a bridle so that any light night time breeze is funneled in the cabin door 
    • picking an anchorage that isn't too sheltered to block all the air movement can make or break a night. On the other hand be aware of any expected wind changes/increases that the evening may bring.
    • I generally prefer an offshore breeze so the bugs can't smell my yummy scent. Rum is a huge bug attractant.
    • Get bug screens and coils to discourage a buggy night
    There's more but have fun and don't give up. There will be challenges as you glean insight and work through the 1st few nights. Hope that helps, Mike

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    TikiHut2 said:
    • Rum is a huge bug attractant.
    HAHAHA!
  • Options
    Oh Yeah Tiki. That's why I give the Admiral rum punch and I drink margaritas.Thankfully the Admiral doesn't monitor this site. There's no garage on my boat so I'd be sleeping out on the deck.
  • Options
    We did go alitte far back in the cove that did not help thanks for info I did not follow any of those lol next time for sure. Thanks tiki
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MT, I used to get in the dawg house on a reg basis when Jose was talking for me. ;) ...Although Captain Morgan has his own personality to deal with....  :ar!  :ar!

NoN, Being in a protected nook is a good thing, just leave a little room for the breeze to get to you. Glad you had a "memorable" experience. Assure the Admiral that you are now armed with lots of good tips for a much more comfortable evening. The fans we use are 12v 10" square shaped (walmart $12) that we can hang just about anywhere to blow toward us. Get two, a backup might be priceless.

A couple of other tips would be to sleep with light cotton sheets and use the V-berth if possible. Also try to plan your nights out to hit a seasonal meteor shower. Nothing beats a view of the night sky as the boat slowly swings on the hook in the solitude of a peaceful dark sky anchorage.

Cheers, Mike

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod

I've also got two fans similar to Tiki 7 they do also run off of batteries as well as cig lighter (12V) or 120v.   I have never left my genny run all night (just don't like to do that) & had some nights that were extremely hot.  The fans do help a lot.

Don't give up!  The best part of boating is anchoring out in your own spot for the night!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I hear you guys on tight spaces.  Family of four on our 246 makes for tight quarters at night.  The wife and kids get the cuddy and  Dad stays in the cockpit to monitor.  God bless Camper canvas.  Just wish they would have made more than one zip down screen than the aft window.  Makes getting a cross breeze impossible.

• Options
    Hey Bat32, Just bought a new EC 310. It came with a great screen in the aft canvass. But was still too hot. We had the "canvass lady" at our marina make up two side screens and a front screen that fit oem quality. Matching canvass edging,  matching velcro edges and matching zippers - the whole jam.Wasn't very expensive (in my opinion ) at about $150.00. What a difference! Just like being outside (without the bugs)!  MT