Options

Any Bravo 3 owners ever swap props in water?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like Hill Marine came through and is sending out a pair of 4x4 20p props today... now the question is can it be done in water or do you really have to haul it out? There's a nice flat sandy area to use at anytime to swap them out.. or it's 325 to be put on a lift for a couple hours.. I may just go for the lift so I can do a couple other things at the same time...but if it can be done in water, that'll be tempting. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Fun!  Don't see why you couldn't.  Apply plenty of marine grease. Spend the $325 on gas and other "essential marine fluids."
  • Options
    Found someone here who has done it... http://myboatus.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60350 

Doesn't inspire confidence. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a torque wench and a block of wood.I assume you have the monster socket.If I was in salt water i would use a breaker bar.lube it up and crank it on.P S you should of done 22's
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I use a torque wench and a block of wood.I assume you have the monster socket.If I was in salt water i would use a breaker bar.lube it up and crank it on.P S you should of done 22's
    Yeah, well, with the current 3 blade 22's on smooth water and with the wind  and tide pushing me today I could only hit 35mph at 4800 rpm, seems like 400 more RPM would be helpful. This was PINNED for a while. ...  so the guy who founded the business said that each blade would drop it 200 rpm more if we stuck with 22p's at this point.

I should be able to hit 5200 per here: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/inboard-and-sterndrive/remanufacturing/plus-series-bravo-sterndrives/ (switch it to 383 fwc)

"
    Part number
    • 8M0109404
    HP / kW @ flywheel
    • 350 / 261
    Maximum RPM (WOT)
    • 4800 - 5200 
    "

So we'll see what happens, my main goal is to get on plane at a lower RPM and have more bite off the line and have more fine tuning ability, even if the top speed drops a couple MPH that'll be fine.  He did say that he's talked to other people with the 383's and for some reason they don't perform how they are expected to at lower RPMs..  we'll see, I make a 270 383 4 blade prop thread for future people.. 

Warranty expires in Sept, def going to extend it 2 more years.. but if something is going to break, I want it broken now, not later! 
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    When I bought hill 4x4s we did it in the water, went to the ramp during slow time and backed in.  Raised the drives and pulled boat back to shallow safe area where we could see.  Lower drives to just before they hit bottom.  Brought a 2x4 to wedge between props and concrete ramp to break nut loose.  You may not be able to get enough leverage with the sand.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    watched a few youtube videos, seems easy enough..  Now to try and find that big tool to remove the second one... hmm
  • Options
    OK good call.Did the 20's on my 270 with 350 horizon 
  • Options
    Keep an eye on the brass shim behind the prop.sometimes it comes out and stays in the back of the prop. Torque to 100#
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    OK good call.Did the 20's on my 270 with 350 horizon 
    And what results did you get? 

ps. today the boat was extremely light, only me on board, had just removed all the heavy stuff below half tank of gas and about 1/2 tank of fresh water, no generator, empty waste tank... which is why 4800 at 35mph isn't exactly impressive especially when the wind and tide was pushing!! 
  • Options
    Much better plane time,mine was a 2002 with the low swim platform.better plane at lower speed.but about 4000 at cruise.would if like to the the lower.gave that up for getting on plane.will even notice the bite when docking.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ^^ Ha ha randy, I ordered that about 15 mins ago from that seller. Hopefully he can get it here quickly, but this is probably the worst time to order anything.  Just got a 13 dollar disposable torque wrench on amazon, says it'll be here Sunday.. crazy.

Chris - right now with the 3 blade 22p's I'm cruising at  27mph at 4010rpms.   Can't get any worse than that right?? 

I don't know the history of these propellers that are on the boat right now.. figure we'll start with what the guy says, if I don't like it, we'll swap it out (58 bucks via fedex smart post) and go from there.. but for now, I do know I'm not impressed with the current setup.. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide to part ways with your 22's, I know someone that might be interested in them if the price is right. He has a 260EC with 20's and I think it would run better with 22's.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Ok, def thinking I'll be parting ways with them.. here's what they looked like at the start of the season..

was just inspecting last week... still looking good. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @j3ff , are your props installed staggered of each other? The pic you posted above looks like they are aligned, they should be staggered if not.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok....next dumb question....in the pic, looks like you're missing the anode on the bottom of the cavitation plate?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Yeah this was over winter...it's all good