Options

Prop for 226

chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
I just purchased a 2008 Rinker 226 BR this week. It has a 350 mag mpi  and a stainless high five 21 pitch prop on a alpha one. I took it on its first run yesterday, and it is very fast out of the hole, but I could not get it above 3000 RPM at a speed of 52 mph. Internet research shows it should have a 17 or 19 pitch prop. Other than wondering if my tach is reading correctly, any thoughts on what 3 or 4 blade prop would work best for general boating and pulling the occasional tube? @Alswagg

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your tach is off. 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Tach is definitely giving a bad reading. If you've got plenty of power out of the hole, most likely you're running the correct prop already for watersports. You'd over-rev big time with a 17 pitch...
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll be back on it later this week and check the rpm. Thanks for the responses!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    your 21p prop moves 26.907" every spin.  

that's a bad bad prop (in a good way). 

I'll trade you a 19p Ron Hill Pleasure Five for that bad bear!!!

I wager your tachometer is a Faria, huh?  

but let's back into this, instead of me leaving this on a smart arrse note- 

HighFives are known for good bite (at least in forward; they have the opposite in reverse), so I figured a 8% slip rate @ 52mph on what is little doubt a 1.47:1 ratio on that drive married to that engine... which means your RPM's are 4178 using these numbers.  Otherwise, you're enjoying a 28% negative slip on that prop.  

those figures holding true, is your engine WOT at that speed?  if so, you're at the bottom of what is acceptable- if not, see what speed you can get (preferably GPS) and run it through a slip calculator..... or slap a digital timing light/tachometer on that thing... 
  • Options
    Thank you very much 212! I don't think I quite hit WOT, there was almost a foot of chop and she was getting a little squirrelly at 52... I will try again, we pulled three teenagers on one tube, plenty of power and a great bite. And yes on the faria:)