Options

Galley Pump

After a nice couple of days on the boat, we secured it for the evening.  Returning the next day to "re-stock" for our next time away, filled the water tank and now, when I switch on the galley pump toggle, the pump starts running, but no water to the taps.  Before, the pump only came on when we opened a tap!  Now it comes on with the toggle, but no water....any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the strainer before the pump. If not, you could get a rebuild kit for the pump. I had a similar situation where the pump quit pumping and the rebuild kit solved it. The kit is much cheaper than a new pump.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you have water on board too(I know, silly) but when I drain my water system my pump continues to run even when all the faucets are off. 
  • Options
    miggymiggy Member Posts: 17
    How old is the pump? Check the basics or any leak as well.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need to prime the pump. Easiest way is to use a wetvac. Turn the galley pump on - open the sink tap & cup your hand around the faucet and vacuum. Works like a peach. In fact, I used an Airhead inflatable hand pump this season. Worked just as well.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Try filling the fresh water tank all the way full.  On my boat, the pump won't prime unless the level in the tank is above the level of the pump.
  • Options
    ssmiddy82ssmiddy82 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    I have wrestled with this issue myself a few times.  Whether coming out of storage, or the ol' leaky faucet and a left on galley switch, it happens.
    Thankfully, a little patience, and calm thinking will help you keep your wits.  
    The system as a whole is very simple, and only a few things can go wrong.  You mentioned the pump turns on, that is a good sign - eliminates electrical issues.
    Next, check for any obvious signs of leaks, venting issues, and/or blockage at the strainer on the inlet tube from the tank.
    If none found, fill the freshwater tank full, and open the nearest faucet to the pump, turn on the pump, and see if it primes.
    If it does not prime, pull off the outlet (blue line) and turn on the pump to see if it will prime.
    If this does not work, remove the pump from the wall by removing the 4  mounting screws, cut back the zip ties that hold the extra wire from main harness going into the pump to give yourself some wire slack, and move the pump AND inlet pipe BELOW the level of water in the tank, and run the pump.  This allows for gravity priming, and if the pump is still good, after a few seconds, it should start pumping water.
    If this still does not work, rebuild/replace the pump.

>:)Where's he get those wonderful toys? >:)