Options

Exhaust suddenly got louder

GoodlifeGoodlife Member Posts: 2
Hello all, after 15 years of sailing I just got a power boat and I'm new to this forum and to power boats in general.

We bought a 1995 Rinker Fiesta Vee 265, with a Mercruiser 5.7, Thunderbolt ignition, carburetor, and Bravo II.  Used a little last season, ran well, winterized per recommendations, and have been out twice (two full weekends) so far this season.

Just this last weekend got a new noise.  When I bring the boat up to plane (around 3k rpms), and trim up the drive, the exhaust suddenly got a lot louder.  It didn't do that before.  I trimmed the drive back down, and it was quiet again.  

There is a tear in the exhaust bellow at the bell housing end, but that has been there all along and was told not to worry about that.  The tear was there last year, but never made the boat louder.

I did replace the raw water impeller last fall, and feel fairly confident that I put it back together the same way it came out.  

The only other thing mechanical done was to straiten the port side trim tab.  One end was bent upward.  

I hope that is enough info to get some ideas.   Please forgive my lack of power boating terminology or forum etiquette.  As a sailor, I never let engine issues bother too much because, wind...  But this is a whole new game, that the entire family loves.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Wynn
The Good Life
1995 Rinker Fiesta Vee 265

Scott & Myrna Wynn
Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there is an exhaust bellow that connects the y pipe to the foot of the drive.  i wager it ruptured.  

instead of using another and sending the exhaust through the foot all the time, consider a 'tube', which connects and pushes it through the foot off plane, but trimmed up it's exposed and breathes better- though louder. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Welcome to the forum! The 265 is a great boat and I've known families of 5 anchor on it for 4-5 days. 

I agree with row that it is probably the exhaust bellow.  I'm assuming running temp is ok?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GoodlifeGoodlife Member Posts: 2
    Thank you both for the feedback.  The temp gauge was normal.  I have ordered the exhaust tube, and plan to install later in the season.  I will post updates if the problem turns out to be something else.  Thanks again.
    Scott & Myrna Wynn
    Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should be able to look at it with the drive up in the trailer position or even in the water perhaps feel to see if it is loose....it will be very obvious!