Options

Engine hard starting after fuel filter/water separator change out

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
2000 FV270 5.7L EFI Gen+
Changed my spin on fuel filter/water separator yesterday as well as distributor cap and rotor.
I didn't have any fresh gas to partially fill the filter when installing, thinking that a bit of cranking would fill it. 
After quite a bit of cranking and no start, I pulled the flame arrestor cover and was able to dribble a bit of gas (that I borrowed from a slip neghbour for his generator) down the throttle body throats and got it to fire. A couple more attempts and it fired right up and ran great.
Put everything back together and the boat sat for about 40 minutes while I waited for the Admiral to show up after work. Engine caught on first crank and away we went. Anchored out for about an hour and a half and when we went to leave, had to crank about 10 or 12 times to get start. Tried the throttle in various positions. Once underway, ran great.
Went back to the marina this morning, and same thing. Would start, but only after repeated attempts. Once started, runs like a champ. I don't think the issue is the cap and rotor, I was real careful moving one wire at a time and getting everything back where it was, and it does run great once started.
Did I perhaps create an airlock somewhere by starting with a dry filter? Any chance it'll clear? Is there an air purge anywhere?
I'm thinking now I should have left the filter loose, pulled the coil wire and cranked the engine until the filter filled.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good question- I would think the fuel pump would run and fill everything up and run until it comes up to pressure- I need to change mine as my yearly stuff is do- I don't recall that I put fuel in mine when I changed it and don't recall any issues.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    I change mine out every year and have never pre-filled it.  No issues yet.

Fuel pump OK?

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Fuel pump ok. I am seeing spray from the injector nozzles when I pulled the flame arrester off. But by then I had cranked quite a few times, so I guess it pulled the fuel by then.  Saw something interesting here: 
    http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?388527-350-MPI-wont-start-after-changing-fuel-water-separater

But once I got it running and it ran for over an hour I'm not sure why it's still happening.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, that does sound odd...I'm sure someone has had the issue..
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Willhound
    good Infos and find  on the fuel pump on your posted link.
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so on mine, if I stop cranking it too early it'll then have problems starting.. the proper way to get around that is to put it to about 50% throttle and crank till it starts, some people call it cold start... works everytime, no pumping, just 50% or a little more and pull it back the moment it catches. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. @J3ff I'll try that next time if it doesn't fire right up. I was either giving it full throttle or pumping it. Hoping it comes around. Never had to crank more than a few seconds unless it sits for at least a week. And even then it caught after about three tries.
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit like my problem last year, link below to see if it helps you.  I feel that the throttle should not be needed to start a fuel injected engine. Today I watch my batteries very closely and rarely have to throttle to start. BoatUS is my Plan C...  Funny thing, J3ff and I repowered with 383 strokers and have this problem popping up.

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5605/hard-starting-after-day-of-being-anchored/p1
  • Options
    @Alswagg I plan on pulling the filter back off when back at boat on Friday to see if holding fuel and will check that.
    @rinker270nb, interesting thread, but don't know if it applies. Started like a dream before I thought I could improve things with some maintenance. 
    Wonder if I did somehow throw the timing off a bit when changing out the cap. Don't see how though since it mounts in only one position with 4 screws.  Will check the starting battery to be sure but new a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pre start diagnostic issue, for either of us. Maybe clear the computer by disconnecting the batteries.  HeII, try putting in the old filter. Good luck!
    Post edited by raybo3 on