Options

Quick Generator Question

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
I believe I inadvertently shut off the fuel line to my generator. It started and ran fine (not sure for how long) then quit. I'm guessing that I need to prime it to get it to start again? Also, is the filter in the photo a fuel filter? Looks huge to me.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Yes, you will probably need to prime.  It is in the manual and pretty easy to do (basically you hold one button while releasing air/gas out of the shrader valve).  As far as the pic, from what I can see it looks like a water separator for the fuel?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks but i couldn't find any thing in the manuals. I took the cover off and don't see a shrader valve. Where would it be.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Easiest way is to fill the seperator with fuel and then install it. Make sure you have at least a half of tank of gas, or it will not run.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    It's a seperator. There should be a small filter right before the fuel pump. You can't see it without disassembling the panels to the genny. Don't worry about the small filter unless you know you have crap in your lines, just replace the seperator every year.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, my fuel line to my gen only has the clear filter, no water seperator. 2003 342. The 5e has an electric fuel pump so it will prime itself.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Removed the fuel and water separator only to find it was full of fuel. Upon further investigation I discovered that it is not getting spark. Must have been a coincidence that I messed up up the fuel supply at same time something happened to the spark. According to the manual: ignition control module is a likely cause. Any other things to try?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Make sure you were checking for spark with a good ground. Lots of the genny parts are painted and will not conduct.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Did you try changing the plugs? These genny's eat plugs like candy.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

One thing that probably is not in the manual is that these things "eat" spark plugs.  Even though the plugs probably look just fine, replacing them may be the solution.  That is if the ignition module is functional and is not the problem.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also search the archive for Kohler. There have been a few good threads on these gensets with a number of variable issues and you might find your no spark answer there. 
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Raybo and I must be on the same schedule.  lol
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I was thinking the same thing........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone, getting closer. I don't think I was getting a good ground when checking the spark earlier. Now I am, and I replaced the spark plug anyway. I remove the fuel line at the carb and no fuel when cracking the engine. I checked the connections on the fuel pump and they seem fine. When I crank the engine and place my finger over the end of the fuel inlet tube I don't feel any pressure. I'm gussing I should? So does this sound like a fuel pump?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Ran out of time today. I'll probably let my marina guy look at so it is ready to go for next time. Thanks for the help.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    For fuel issues I always connect a portable tank to the genny. If it fires and runs with no problems, you know it's nothing in the genny itself. It's either separator, fuel lines, pick up tube, ect. If it doesn't run on the portable tank, then it's in the genny. Although there may still be an issue with the fuel supply.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

well, you're right.  I didn't see anything in the 5E manual for bleeding the air out of the fuel line.  I know for my genny it is one of the main causes for issues.  I hear you on having it ready to go for next time!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express