Options

Another Rinker issue

BoatmanBoatman Member Posts: 26
Yesterday while pulling into marina after 45 min ride, warning buzzer goes off continuously. After checking vitals and all are OK, restart engine and still warning buzzer goes off. At idle in slip, same thing. all fluids, temp, oil pressure, etc. OK. what's the scoop?

Answers

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    Which engine do you have?  Could be low water pressure from the raw water pump, like maybe the pump ingested some debris when you pulled into the marina, or the impeller failed.  

Read this thread:

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1042/encountering-faults-check-this-out 
  • Options
    LaRea,

Great info-Thank you. I have the 5.7EFI with B2 drive. Headed down this morning for a more thorough investigation.  I have had Chaparral and about a dozen Sea Rays and some with more years and hours. This one has more issues than all others combined.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not the Rinker. Its the Mercruiser
  • Options
    so it turns out that the gear oil reservoir was empty and top blew off. I checked this just a few days ago. Obviously unit over heating and cause pressure.
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
     You need to check the drive oil level at the drive. If you push the oil out of the reservoir you may have an air pocket in your outdrive. If you  simply add oil to the reservoir and you have an air pocket the next time the drive gets hot you will have the same result as you do now.  There is an oil level screw on the top right-hand side of your outdrive, but that screw out you should have a steady stream of gear lube coming out. If you do not you will need to take the boat out of the water remove the propeller and Fill the drive From the bottom using a pump to ensure you don't have any air pockets in the drive.
    it sounds to me like your problem stems from someone not adding/changing the gear oil correctly. When/who was the last time/person to change the gear oil?
    as stated above this is not a rinker issue, could be a Mercruise issue, but most likely a user/mechanic issue.
    google hive to change gear oil in a bravo out drive and you will see what I am talking about.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drive needs filled from the bottom to the top.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks all. The previous owner said it was done at the end of last season. I just bought this one earlier this year and you are right-not a Rinker issue just had had several issues and frustration sets in. I am knowledgeable on gear oil change and going to try to pull out tomorrow and take care of. Also, slipping when going into forward then pulls fine which could be related or may have to have the entire unit re built or at least clutch.
    for I use quicksilver high performance gear oil 90wt
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    If it is slipping going into forward but ok once it engages I would check the shift cable. It may look good but it could be stretched and causing you issue.
    either way good luck with the repairs.
  • Options
    Update,
    After drain and fill of gear oil (looked good, no discoloration or smell) and test, still have slippage. Local shop states clutch and gear set (OUCH!). I'm hoping clutch only but may be different upon inspection.
    Another issue-serial numbers are worn off label on drive. I have original paperwork from Rinker factory inspection when delivered new and lists engine, hull and other numbers. Says mine is a B3 with duo prop and numbers for both props. definitely a B2 drive.
    Calling Rinker to see if they have records that can back into. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I found on mine if you peel back that label, the serial number is engraved in the drive? Not 100%, will look tonight as I have my drive off and the numbers I believe are there. I was able to contact Rinker and verify engine and drive serial numbers as the label on the engine was miss printed and I could not get down in there to see it on the motor itself....I assume I have the original motor as it had 100 hours on it.
  • Options
    Talked to Rinker and they Typo'd my pre check. Definitely not a B3 which I knew but was really looking for numbers. got a return call from Kim with correct gear ratio. Now it looks like a $2,500 bill around the corner. Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't bought the boat 3 months ago!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer....boating sure is not for the faint of heart....you'll have a new drive on the plus!?