Options

Kicker motor on swim grid

prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions or warnings regarding adding a 9.9hp kicker motor to the stock Rinker swim grid?

I have a 2001 242, swim grid seems very solid, but I would be adding 100lbs at the end of a cantilever 2-3ft out the back of the boat and makes me a bit nervous. It is very common around the BC coast for ocean fishing but more often than not they are mounted directly to the transom, however, with a full width swim grid this is impractical.

2001 Rinker 242

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's designed for that, question for @Alswagg
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what purpose?
  • Options

It is multi purpose, primarily for slow trolling for salmon fishing in the fall months, it is hard to be able to go slower than 4-5km/hr with the main engine in idle, target speed is more like 3km/hr but depends on tides etc.

Second is for getting yourself home if your main engine decides to fail for whatever reason, albeit rather slowly.

And the last reason would be to keep hours off the main engine, it isn't uncommon for us to be out trolling for salmon for 4-8 hours when fishing is hot.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Are you talking about the molded in swim step on the back or the bolt-on extended platform?  What size O/B? I've seen lots of swim platform setups here on Lake Ontario for salmon fishing as well. 

Mark 
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options

Looking at a 10-15hp, so 100lbs. It is not a rare site to see them on swim grids around here, so I don't think I'm doing anything too unrealistic, but I simply have no experience with them in the past and wondered if anyone else had feedback one way or another.

It is a bolt on, currently with no bracing.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Options

Couple of pictures. I had a fab shop add hand rails to the swim grid for additional space for fishing (trying to make a cruiser multipurpose) and downrigger mounts to the back transom. Very happy with the swim grid and handrail as it adds 3-4 feet of useful space on a 24' boat.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    On July 4th I had about 600+ lbs of young people sitting and standing and jumping on and off my swim platform all day and it's still firmly attached. Just trying to illustrate the strength of it, not recommend anything.

Andy
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Have the shop that put in hand rails add a couple supports to the bottom of the platform. That things looks long
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the same platform I have on my 242,love it!
    2008 330EC
  • Options

That's the same swim grid for sure. I had a large swim grid on my 18' wakeboard boat before I moved to the coast and said I wouldn't buy a boat without another swim grid as it is very useful and adds so much more space.

I usually have my large cooler on the boat stock step off the back and with the handrails we feel completely safe standing off the back in open water to retrieve crab traps and net fish etc

2001 Rinker 242