Options

Put in Bay - Christmas in July

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone else planning on going? It's July 21-23, and it should be a riot. I've never been to Xmas in July, so that'll be new for me. 

If anyone sees a pretty blond yelling at her bf, it's likely me. Come say hi.  :D:D

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which number is she Joe? LOL
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Pretty Lady Joe!    After several years of going on the official weekend we have started going the weekend after.   So yes, we are going but no not on the 21-23 but on the 28th - 30th.   The official weekend is a **** show, hard to get a dock, hard to get a drink, etc.   Both weekends are packed, but we have found the following weekend after the 18 year old guys leave is much more fun.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea I avoid PIB on xmas in July. The Jet Express delivers the worst of the worst every 30 min. Good luck. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

After boating out of Monroe, MI on Lake Erie for 21 years, I am a veteran of PIB Xmas in July. I agree with Wildboating...the actual week of Xmas in July, particularly the weekend, is a Zoo. :) I stopped going during that time after my boat was damaged by some drunks at the dock. If you want to experience Xmas in July by boat I recommend the following relative to dockage:

1. If staying at the public docks, travel with other boaters that you know and tie up as a group. The public docks require rafting off of four boats at a time so, if you can raft off with people you know you will likely have a better experience.

2. Never, ever tie up on the east side of C dock. If the wake from the jet express doesn't bang your boat around, any easterly wind will. East winds on Erie are common and the lake gets rough. Dockage on the west side (outside) of A dock is better but you will get rocked a bit from the wake of the taxi boats that run between the Boardwalk and the mooring balls in the bay. 

3. B dock is the most protected of the 3 public docks. It is also the "party dock" so if you want to get any sleep or are bothered by continual loud music you may want to tie up elsewhere.

4. Private docks/marinas fill up early so reserve well in advance to get a spot. There are only 2 chances of getting a spot in a private marina by showing up without a reservation during Xmas in July...slim and none.

5. If you have reserved a dock in the Marina on the east side of the Jet Express dock make sure you have plenty of fenders. Most of those docks are open to the east. I've seen boats there rocked severely during a storm of in the event of high wind.  

Like Wildboating, I'm thinking of going to PIB 7/28-30, so perhaps we could meet up for a cocktail there! Regardless, have fun at PIB!

• Options
    I am a veteran of PIB, just not xmas in July. I went by boat for the first time last year, and was at the B docks for Labor Day weekend. I dont mind music or scenery, and I will likely be going with at least one other boat.

I'm definitely going to the b docks, and I'm leaving lake st clair at like 7am on Friday, so I'm thinking I'll beat the crowds at the dock if I show up around 10-1030am.

I dont care about people walking across my swim platform, but I wont stand for walking on my boat or cushions.

I'll probably leave up my camper canvas when I'm gone, so there's really no way for them to walk on my cushions unless they unzip it.

From my experience though, most boaters are fine. Its the amateurs that come on the Jet Express and party at the bars that cause issues.
  • Options
    Which number is she Joe? LOL
    You gotta be more specific with that question....LOL

She's my number one right now though, maybe even keeper status eventually :o
  • Options
    @JoeStang - Just checking in with you to find out how your trip to PIB went. Did you go? Have a good time?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Pictures man!  Pictures! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have friends that were just there and said it looked like they started early this year.  Sounded like Jobbie Nooner on speed.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    wm61356 said:
    @JoeStang - Just checking in with you to find out how your trip to PIB went. Did you go? Have a good time?
    Yeah, had an absolute blast. Weather was HOT and HUMID, but the lakes were perfectly flat there & back.

Dream_Inn said:
    Pictures man!  Pictures! :)
    Will do! I have to go through and organize em, plan on doing that tonight.

Stodge said:
    I have friends that were just there and said it looked like they started early this year.  Sounded like Jobbie Nooner on speed.
    Yeah, it was a bit much, especially on Saturday night. Fortunately I knew where to go to avoid the worst of the worst, but it still as not without a little drama. Overall though it was a great time. I'll write up a story a little later, but I'll just say it involves grand theft auto. :o:D
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a great time!  We are headed there today thru monday!  I am looking forward to it

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    @JoeStang - glad toy made it there and back safely and had a good time. Flat water makes the trip so much better. You never know what Erie will do so sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice and go for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Finally had a chance to upload some pics. It was a great trip, my only regret is not having a portable AC on the boat. It was HUMID as heII, so thank god for falling asleep easily after closing down the bars. :D

Passed a bunch of freighters on both trips

Lake Erie was literally flat calm both ways.

Middle Sister Island

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Shenanigans

Frosty's Pizza. Pretty sure I burned off every taste bud that night, didnt realize the sauce was literally molten lava out of the oven. :D

Picked up a couple hitch hikers LOL

Mojito Bay. We had Mojito's. Lots of Mojito's.

SandBar. There was no sand, but lots of Bar. LOL

Post edited by JoeStang on
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yes we did the touristy stuff too

• Options
    edited August 2017

I even got to be a passenger most of the way home

Missed a nasty rain storm by about 1/2 hour

• Options
    @JoeStang-Great pictures. Looks like you had a really good time and good weather too. I'm planning on going August 11-14 so I hope the weather is favorable that weekend as well.
  • Options
    Hawk600Hawk600 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    @JoeStang ... What area of Detroit are you coming out of? I have a 272 Captiva 7.4 Bravo 3 that I have considered making the trip with but Erie has me a little concerned. I'm coming out of the Metro beach area. Where you a lone boat or part of a group?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I left from the Clinton river, Harrison twp area. Lake Erie requires some attention and planning, but it's only 25-30 miles from the mouth the Detroit river to PIB, so with a proper VHF AND GPS you'll be ok. You just gotta pay attention to the weather and buoy reports and don't go on a weekend like right now. 

And I was on my boat with 3 other people. Last year i did labor day weekend 100% solo! Well solo ride there and back..... :D
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Great pics!  looks like a nice trip.  What is that picture of with the chains and poles and some lights from above?  I'm just not figuring it out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Looks like the caverns. There are caves under the island that one can tour. The chains are probably demarking the places you can walk versus those you have to stay out of.
  • Options
    Exactly. There are 2 different caves on the island you can tour. It's pretty cool and was a nice retreat from the heat and humidity outside.