What Size dock line should I be using for my 32' cruiser?

ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Hey guys I've been using 5/8ths lines for morning at my marina. I wanted to know if I should run with that same size when I'm out and about tying up at restaurants or other random docks or am I  m OK to go smaller. Thanks for the input. 
Anthony Price 
The Price is Right
MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it all depends on where you are going to be docked at. You can't go wrong with 5/8's line. On my 280EC, at the slip I use 3/8's line since I am at a marina with floating docks and we don't get much wake. When I am out tied to a wharf, or rafted off, I use 1/2" line. I have even started using chafe guards on the lines at the wharf's that I tie at for an added safety measure.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the size of your cleats.  For a 32, I think 1/2" is generally better.  It's plenty strong enough, and it's easier to get two lines onto a cleat when necessary.  
  • wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Following are guidelines for dock line selection based on boat size. Generally, it is recommended to use 1/8" of line diameter for every 9' of boat length. Larger lines will wear longer but stretch less.

Boat LengthUp to 27'28'-31' 32'-36' 37'-45' 46'-54' 55'-63' 64'-72'
    Dock Line Dia.    3/8" 7/16"   1/2"    5/8"    3/4"    7/8"     1"
  • ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Great info. Thanks everyone. 
    Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Mines smaller than yours, but I like 1/2" for my dock and 3/8" for traveling or rafting up. My cleats arent massive, so getting two sets of 1/2" is nearly impossible. 1/2" at a protected restaurant or rafting for your boat is more than enough, IMO.

5/8" is probably smart at the home port, since it'll have to weather storms.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 1/2" lines, we get a lot of wave action at the marina though, so stretch is a nice bonus, too large a line and you have no give.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI