Waxing the hill and topside

it's been a few years since I waxed my boat, some slight oxidation present.  Can someone lend their opinion on getting the mirror finish back? What wax, or compound and wax to use?
thanks 

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Do your self and body a favor and hire a good detailer. You won't regret it
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wet 1500~2000 grit sandpaper.  lightly.  oxidation gone quickly.  rinse well.  rinse again just in case. 

then- wax.... and a technique i learned about two weeks ago works very well- it was called "bending it in".  

real simple:

with paste wax pad in one hand (i used carnuba) and the buffer in the other at mid speed setting and a finishing pad, wipe the wax on in a small area... BEFORE IT DRIES buff it.  if you've done it right you will see the lines of the wax 'bend' as it's being jammed in the pores.... and that's what it's about- making that surface smooth as literal glass by filling the microscopic cracks with wax.... it takes likely five minutes to apply two full coats to a 3'x3' area.  

one for the fiber, another for the glass- and the last for vanity.  the third coat after buffing the second and allowing it to stand while you work other sections.... this technique is amazing.   

after being instructed on this method, I now understand how pro's can do it so quickly with such outstanding results.  you don't let the wax stand.  you 'bend it in' wet.  it defies every instruction i've ever heard prior.  it flat out works. 
  • jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Its easy. Get 3m super duty compound ( black bottle) . Use a wool buffing pad about 3000 rpms, apply Collinite ( wax only) when you are done. You will be shocked at results. 

This is assuming you know how to use a buffer the right way also....
  • mskpharmdmskpharmd Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    What about the topside non-slip? Not something you'd "buff up" but still appears like it needs work despite regular cleaning. Any ideas?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    icoultha said:
    What about the topside non-slip? Not something you'd "buff up" but still appears like it needs work despite regular cleaning. Any ideas?
    A good solid pressure wash on the anti-skid should do it.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for stubborn discolor/stains on the no-skid, Starbrite makes a great product. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    for stubborn discolor/stains on the no-skid, Starbrite makes a great product. 

I use this as well (& it has ptef in it to give somewhat a nice finish).  Mary Kate also has a nice non-skid cleaner.  For the swim platform, I sometimes just use barkeeper's friend since runoff doesn't go all over the boat.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, powerwash had been suggested before so that may be the first try. I'll have to check a non-skid product I do have a bottle of, brown goop that seemed to do little.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I got this information from an old member here.  I follow it on my blue hull and get compliments all the time.  Now its just upkeep.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117266
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270