Options

VP Neutra-Salt Engine Flush System?

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone have any experience with this thing?

From what I understand, a quart jug hangs out next to the engine and the raw water intake that intercepts the raw water coming in, and injects it with this 'neutra-salt' stuff when the operator hits a button (and holds it for 45 seconds) at the helm... the idea being the raw water ingested is treated, neutralizing the salt via chemical reaction, and adhering to hard parts (similar to some coolants which 'skin' hard parts) all in effort to protect against corrosion from salt.  

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Neutra-Salt-Engine-Flushing-Kit/dm/store_id.366--view_id.352393

it's marketed by VP, and I have read where people swear by it, but haven't read any hard data on it (comparisons). 

I've also recently read where simple fresh water flushing for ten minutes on warm engines is just as good as anything... that the damage from corrosion is when components are allowed to simply sit with saltwater in them... both sides make sense... 

I'm in the market for a full fresh water cooling kit- engine and manifolds- with raw only passing through the heat exchange (cylinder mounting across front of engine) and out the risers (via exhaust)... the risers are all the replacing that needs to happen every five years or so- it seems the exchanges hold up well (must be aluminum?).... 

I'm wondering if this injection system thingy is worth anything.... it's said you can get 12-15 flushes out of a jug.  Snake oil?

Comments