Options

Fueling a Boat

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
Question........... Do you remove passengers from your boat when fueling it up????? I understand that its probably a good practice but is it required by law?????
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not either. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically I have everyone off the boat, but not always.  Never anyone below.  Not a law here in MI.  Smart tho. 

We'll give Handy a pass for those diesels.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Never have, but i do smell blower vents for fuel before restarting.  I never see anyone do that.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't removed passengers...but I do run the blowers for a good few minutes before firing up.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if law or not, but generally this applies at all fuel docks around here.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Yes, almost always.  Our marina requires it, and I usually do when refueling elsewhere.  

I've never seen a marina around here where the fuel dock attendant actually pumps the fuel.  It's mostly self-serve.  Even when there's an attendant, the owner pumps the fuel, and it's rare for the attendant to order everyone off the boat.  

And I always sniff the blower exhaust before starting.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not remove passengers, maybe not a bad idea, our fuel is sort of self serve, you remove cap, attendant hands you the handle you put in the gas, always run blower before restart. Never though of sniffing, I'd think you would smell it if there was an issue.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Ontario has fairly stringent reporting regulations and penalties for fuel spills on waterways which may be why any fuel docks I've ever seen here have trained attendants who are required to pump the fuel. In addition they will usually wrap a "spill sock" around the nozzle for any drips or that little spit back when the tank burps.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I remove them if they don't contribute to the gas bill lol
    i also smell my vent 
  • Options
    love2cruiselove2cruise Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    Hi Willhound, cerious...  what gas dock is that on Lake Simcoe that is also a gas station for automobiles? 
  • Options
    Hi Willhound, cerious...  what gas dock is that on Lake Simcoe that is also a gas station for automobiles? 
    At the bridge in Keswick.Behind Krates Marina. Right on the highway but a decent dock on the back side. I've seen 50 footers there. Road gas but about 30 cents a litre cheaper than the marina. $1.18 for Silver and $1.25 for Gold.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Fueling for me is usually a pre cruise task to often just me and self pump. If during cruise passenger usually get off to stretch legs and "empty out" 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @Willhound- $1.25/liter (litre, for the non Americans) for Gold (equivalent of premium?), so basically around $5.00 per U.S. gallon?  Yow! And so then, $1.55 per "litre" at a marina? Yow and double yow!!!
  • Options
    @Willhound- $1.25/liter (litre, for the non Americans) for Gold (equivalent of premium?), so basically around $5.00 per U.S. gallon?  Yow! And so then, $1.55 per "litre" at a marina? Yow and double yow!!!
    Yep. The Gold is actually their 94 octane mid grade. High grade 97 octane is about $1.34 a litre. (A liter =1.057 US quarts) 
    Marina fuel would be either 94 or 97 octane and presumably ethanol free.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2.12 a gallon for diesel here  :p:p
  • Options
    Over double that here even taking into account exchange. Mostly because of taxes.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At our marina they will not start fueling until all electronics are switched off, and all passengers are off the boat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here, everyone off, ignition off. Must be an Ontario thing. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current